Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2016 00:00

Severe throttling problems on the 2016 Dell Venue 8 Pro (5855)

I received my 5855 a few days ago and have only just started to put it through its paces, but unfortunately there's already a massive performance problem that's become apparent. I use AMI DuOS (an Android virtualization package) on my previous Dell Venue 8 Pro without any problems and installed it on this 2016 model as well. After 5-10 minutes the app is so slow it's unusable. Checking with CPU-Z and GPU-Z, the CPU is being throttled down to around 0.45 GHz making any intensive applications or games slow or unusable when this happens. I have also tested it with a few Windows games, with the same result.

I have tried disabling C-states in the bios as well as SpeedStep as well as ensuring all settings in the control panel power options favoured performance, but this did not affect the problem. I don't know whether this is a hardware limitation, a fault, or a software issue so it would be good to get some feedback. I'm using Windows 10 Pro (pre-anniversary edition) x64, with the current drivers provided on the Dell website.

If this is a known limitation rather than a fault/misconfiguration then this purchase will have been an effective downgrade from my previous Dell Venue 8 Pro, and it should not have been represented as an upgrade.

9.4K Posts

September 29th, 2016 06:00

Hi me2olive,

Thanks for posting!

Dell has not tested the AMI DuOS on the 5855, so at this time, it is not supported by Tech Support.  Even though it may work with your computer, we have not tested it to provide information or be able to answer your questions.

If you remove the AMI DuOS, does your system exhibit the same characteristics you mention in your post?  If so, since you are under warranty, you may wish to contact Tech Support to troubleshoot with them.  Thanks.

Regards,

Robert

17 Posts

September 29th, 2016 07:00

Yes, it does the same regardless, I was just using DuOS as an example. Any taxing PC game will produce the same result. I will contact tech support if I cannot find a solution, but I was hoping to hear if anyone else had experienced this. There are reports that Cherry Trail overheating/throttling is an issue in general with these chips, but I'd not expected the net result to be that performance would be worse than the previous generation chips.

9.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 05:00

As far as I've been able to find, there's no documented cases regarding this issue with Tech Support.

No Events found!