Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Tip comes out of Venue 8 Pro Stylus easily - is this a design feature?

All:

I've got this new stylus on my new Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and am overall happy with it.  When I got the stylus I was initially a little suprised that the tip comes right out with no real force.  I assumed this was just a bad design and is a risk I took at being an early adopter - to be able to provide feedback on bad designs.  But before I give the feedback to Dell, can anyone else confirm that the tip is indeed supposed to pop right out, or should it be afixed in place somehow.

Thanks

January 26th, 2014 12:00

okay so I just lost my tip how do I go getting it replaced I've had the stylus for about a month now it's falling out about 5 times and now the stylus tip has decided to go on vacation on its own what number do I have to call and what part number do I have to give them to get a replacement stylus? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

January 26th, 2014 14:00

Sounds like something is wrong with the replacement you received - I'd recommend that you contact support to get an exchange.  The tip should not just slide right out without a decent amount of force applied to it...  Apologies for the troubles!

Hello Brian,

I've been trying to solve several problems with my Venue 8 Pro.

1)  In spite of seeing several warranty offers for the Venue 8 Pro, I've not seen any actual purchase options that match the ones advertised with a new purchase, such as the $39 upgrade to accidental damage insurance.  (I am most concerned about the micro USB port becoming damaged as this has happened on other devices and without that, this machine is dead.)  The screen breakage would be a secondary consideration.  I'm starting my third month of having this unit so am concerned about getting support before the support runs out.  So far, support has not been any help and even said originally that the accidental damage warranty wasn't available.

2)  I purchased the Active stylus a month ago and have the same loose tip issue and an almost unusable stylus because of the interference when the stylus gets close to the screen.  Anything can happen from selecting the wrong item to deleting something by mistake.  I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that really explains if there really is a configuration utility for the stylus that I've seen mentioned elsewhere.  Is the month-old stylus faulty?  Do I need a replacement?

3)  I too purchased a Netgear video extender that of course didn't work in the mirror mode.  I've uploaded the latest drivers, etc. to no avail.  I've since returned the Netgear unit.  Miracast on my LG TV works better, but still doesn't allow a mirrored display. Is the problem with the Intel Wi-Di driver, the hardware, or something else?  The 90 degree rotation is also a problem.  I'm assuming this is a driver issue but haven't seen any posts anywhere about that yet?

4)  I would like to use the "Plugable" brand display extender/docking station, but as seen on their YouTube video it has the same display problems as the other devices.

5)  Another problem is the fact that you can't power the Venue 8 Pro when connected to anything else.  Why wasn't this addressed by the engineers in the original design.  I have to use the battery when connected to anything else even though I'm obviously docked in order to use almost any other device.  To say the least it is a rather useless design "feature."

6)  My screen dims at the most inopportune moments and is difficult to brighten again.  I've already made changes to the settings including setting the display brightness on full time.  So why is it dimming and how can I get it to stop this behavior?

7)  My last concern at the moment is why is this called a "Pro" model when it isn't running Win 8.1 Pro.  I think this is a fraudulent way to advertise a product, to call it a Pro Model with Windows installed and not have Windows Pro installed.  It is a $99 upgrade from Microsoft to get Win 8.1 Pro.  To be fair with Dell, Lenovo does the same thing with its Yoga "Pro" model.  I think this is misleading at the very least and close to being fraudulent.  If I was an attorney I think I would probably file a class action against anyone doing this kind of advertising.

I purchased the Venue 8 Pro to be able to have a hand-held Windows tablet with me as I'm working on administrative issues with our servers and desktops.  I try to have the manuals for my hardware in my hand to refer to while working.  My old "tablet" notebook from years ago was just not practical for this use.  I also use O'Reilly's Safari Online with the Venue 8 Pro.  (I am also diabetic so I track my diet very carefully with this unit.)  I really want the active stylus to work so I can use One Note to keep my notes on-line as I work instead of having to carry around my old "paper tablets and notebooks" to write in and this would be a great tool for that if the stylus worked correctly.

Perhaps this would be better posted to a new thread, but your response here seemed to be a good place to start.

Thanks,

828 Posts

January 26th, 2014 19:00

I'll ask my co-worker to review and respond to this thread - he is the expert on the Venue 8.   Thx.

February 18th, 2014 14:00

Yes this happen to mine. I thought I lost it once.... found it at the bottom of my back pack. I was looking for a replacement in case I lose it. don't like that it comes out so easily

2 Posts

May 8th, 2014 07:00

Same for me, I have Dell M4700 and my Pro 8.1 in Dell folio with Pen in elastic bad on edge.  Pulled it out of laptop backpack and tip is missing  Had previously noticed how easy it comes out, this time I cannot find it, not in the bag ... frustrated ...if they come out this easy they need to have them available at a reseller like Best Buys and they should be very inexpensive since they are so easily lost ...

2 Posts

May 8th, 2014 07:00

Frustration is because I leave for an Overseas trip in two days and will be gone at least two weeks, not way to get a replacement in time for my trip ...

12 Posts

June 20th, 2014 22:00

Dell sent me a replacement stylus a few weeks back without me asking. Nice quality assurance effort. I did not "test" the tip to see if it is improved. I handle the stylus with great care. Does anyone know how to turn the stylus off? It gobbles batteries if I leave it sit for a week with the tablet shut down.

915 Posts

June 20th, 2014 22:00

[Ignore post--earlier rambling and nonresponsive post has been deleted by mods.]

[With all due respect, you seem to be rambling--what supposed problem are you talking about? This thread is about the stylus tip. (And if you are talking about charging the tablet, most tablets need a wall charger, due to the tablets' typically greater power needs, more than a laptop generally is designed to provide (and the Dell charger is far from being as big as a regular transformer--it's quite small, actually).)]

915 Posts

June 21st, 2014 06:00

[Ignore post--earlier rambling and nonresponsive post has been deleted by mods.]

[This thread is about the Dell stylus and its tip--if you want to complain about the Dell AC plug (which is standard with most tablets, given a tablet's power needs), please start your own thread, out of respect to others posting their stylus comments and questions here.]

915 Posts

June 21st, 2014 09:00

It would also be mnice to have softer tips available comparable to Wacom. Writing with Dell stylus just don't give you the feeling or control over pressure because the tip is just 2 hard.
The writing or painting experience should be more comparable to writing with a Pen on a notebook and nit writing with a nail on glass. :-)
^ +1. Absolutely agree!

184 Posts

June 21st, 2014 09:00

@ Brian,

Aare there any updates on providing replacement tips?
I am trying to find some for along time but they are nowhere to be found. It would also be mnice to have softer tips available comparable to Wacom. Writing with Dell stylus just don't give you the feeling or control over pressure because the tip is just 2 hard.
The writing or painting experience should be more comparable to writing with a Pen on a notebook and nit writing with a nail on glass. :-)
Do you know if Dell is still working on replacement tips and if there will be different kinds?

12 Posts

June 21st, 2014 11:00

I am starting a new thread called "macrobutton". Your prior tablet experience would be helpful. Please check that thread.

915 Posts

June 21st, 2014 17:00

[Please stop crudding up other people's threads with your off-topic/thread complaints; please respect others and start your own thread(s). You now are at the level of being a spammer.]

1 Message

October 17th, 2014 06:00

Brian - are there replacement tips available?  Also - I am searching high and low for tips that will have more drag, or give more of a writing on paper experience.  Any suggestions?

No Events found!