Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2014 14:00

Venue 11 Pro Ethernet Controller not working at Gigabit Speed

Hi,

I've got a Venue 11 Pro 7130 with the Desktop Docking station.  I'm having the same HDMI to DVI issues that everyone else is having, however I also have another problem with it where I can't get it to connect at Gigabit network speeds, even though it's advertised as having a Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

The Dell part number which was on my order is part # 332-2364, which shows a part number physically on the dock as a model "K10A".

In Device Manager it shows my network adapter to be a ASIX AX88772C USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet adapter.  Fast Ethernet as far as I can tell only means that it supports 10/100 MB speeds, whereas according to the specs for the dock it shows clearly that its supposed to come with a Gigabit adapter.  Below is a link to the item specs: 

I've also connected this to two different network switches which both support Gigabit speeds and neither of them will negotiate Gigabit speeds.  On the adapter properties under Device Manager, it only shows that the fastest speed I can force the adapter to is 100 MB full-duplex.  When I connect my E6520 laptop to either one of those same connections, it detects GIgabit right away.

As another test I connected a Startech USB31000S USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter and that will also link up at Gigabit speeds.  Coincidentally this adapter also has a network adapter from ASIX, which is a different part number and is described as a Gigabit Ethernet adapter in Device Manager.

So, what's the deal with the network adapter in my desktop dock or is it false advertising, or is there a driver update or something?

Thanks.

828 Posts

January 10th, 2014 15:00

The dock NIC is only 10/100.   Unfortunately the web page you are referencing has incorrect information.   A request was made to change this a while back when it was caught, but obviously that hasn't happened yet.   I'll submit another request.    We will have a Gigabit dongle available soon, but there are no plans to offer gigabit in the current desktop dock.

1 Message

January 15th, 2014 15:00

Hello Brian,

I spent several hours on phone and chat today trying to figure that out. And should note that Dell customer service is absolutely not up to the tablets yet. They mostly had no idea what I was trying to resolve, and one lady even tried to assure me that Gigabit ethernet is 100Mbps:emotion-2:

As that's a false advertising, are you guys going to provide such Gigabit dongle for free to people who bought the dock?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Sergey

6 Posts

January 17th, 2014 12:00

I'd like to see them replace the dock entirely with one that dual video output actually works on and has gigabit Ethernet as advertised.  :)

8 Posts

January 20th, 2014 13:00

Sad to see a company like Dell even making 10/100MB  -  I would think they would move up to 100/1GB (like all of their other modern products)

-just saying    -EB

67 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 18:00

Would be nice if I'd even get 10/100 speeds. Will we get the dangle for the false advertising

5 Posts

February 18th, 2014 11:00

No, that can't be fixed with a firmware update.  The chip they are using for Ethernet is a USB3 to 10/100 Ethernet... I am likely going to pack up my dock and send it back for several reasons.. least of which are the lack of gigE...   can't get DVI monitors to work properly.. I will just get an external USB3 dock and use that...

This is a surprise, it was original advertised as gigabit Ethernet. Is the dock not capable of 10/100/1000 Ethernet speeds or will this be fixed in a future firmware update?

47 Posts

February 18th, 2014 11:00

This is a surprise, it was original advertised as gigabit Ethernet. Is the dock not capable of 10/100/1000 Ethernet speeds or will this be fixed in a future firmware update?

47 Posts

February 18th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, I was hoping it was a hardware glitch that could be addressed by a firmware update. But if the chipset is 10/100 Ethernet there is nothing we can do about.

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 14:00

Did you find another docking station that you like using? 

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 06:00

I thought that the dock was gigabit as well. Looking back at the specs they double talk. What's even more stupid is the Latitude 10 dock has gigabit Ethernet, and the dongle that Dell sells for the Venue does, but why doesn't the dock?

1 Message

December 9th, 2014 18:00

Having issues with the Venue 11 7130/7139 using a K10A docking station

Have a monitor connected to the doc along with an epson projector connected with an HDMI cable

using the tablet as the cpu and playing a youtube video part way through the video it will stop and screen turns pink. re start and it will play

who is an expert with these dell products

828 Posts

December 10th, 2014 00:00

I thought that the dock was gigabit as well. Looking back at the specs they double talk. What's even more stupid is the Latitude 10 dock has gigabit Ethernet, and the dongle that Dell sells for the Venue does, but why doesn't the dock?

The current desktop dock is 10/100 only - it does not support gigabit.   You'll need to use a USB to LAN dongle if you require gigabit.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2014 21:00

Brian,

Stupid Move on Dell's part. Dell wants to tout this as a Surface competitor, for serious business use, but I'm sorry a Docking station that only supports 10/100 is very poorly though out, especially considering the Latitude 10's dock supports 10/10/1000.

No Events found!