Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2015 16:00

Venue 11 pro 7140 BIOS update missing

I was trying to download latest BIOS update for my new venue 11 pro 7140 tablet, and found that they are not on the website. I really hope to keep my device up to date and get all the performance boost and benefits from the new BIOS (e.g. A05). Can someone verify it for me.

8 Posts

May 26th, 2015 10:00

Does anyone know when an update BIOS is likely to be available, I started to setup an 7140 yesterday and discovered no BIOS update was available, so I have moved the VP11-7140 setup to the bottom of the to do list. I don't have a desktop dock so the A05 update wouldn't have been a problem.

May 26th, 2015 12:00

Same question here...has anyone tried calling consumer tech support?  I tried chat earlier and they said I have to call them. 800-624-9896.  I would call, but I'm at work and can't make a phone call for a while today.

1 Message

May 27th, 2015 07:00

Same issue. I've searched and it looked as if the A04 and A05 were available at one point but since removed from the site. We are having an issue on the 7140 with the virtual keyboard not appearing at the BitLocker PIN screen. Read that the A04 was supposed to fix that issue. We cant get machines to boot unless we connect an external keyboard which defeats the purpose of having a tablet. I have emailed my rep to see whats going on, hope to hear back soon.

8 Posts

May 29th, 2015 06:00

Bad to worse I went to the support site this morning at 5:45 MDT to see if a new BIOS had been put up and found no driver packages at all for the 7140?

8 Posts

May 29th, 2015 06:00

Stand corrected, I few minutes after I post the previous the driver packages were listed again?  website or opperator glitch?

11 Posts

June 4th, 2015 08:00

It's been three weeks. There still no BIOS or any news from dell. I wish it's still on their to do list. I heard that sometimes they just abandon a product without any updates.

June 4th, 2015 10:00

I finally called the support number I was given.  Got a voice prompt system.  Said "Consumer Technical Support."  It sent me to Enterprise Triage Support....nice.  Very quickly they sent me on to consumer support, who looked up my device and saw a tablet, they sent me to tablet/chromebook support who got my service tag and saw it only had "basic" support (bought for me at Best Buy...not an enterprise device) and they sent me to "Horrible Accent, reads from script, useless support over a bad VOIP connection - INDIA"  They then proceeded to ask to take over my device, fumble around, load the website and tried to find the BIOS download.  I had to stop them, take back control and point out (for the 4th+ time) that I KNEW the BIOS wasn't on the site, I was asking for an FTP download or something. 10 minutes of hold while they check with someone else and all I get is "There isn't one, please wait for a few days."  Then I get an email saying they fixed the problem with my device and the solution was "wait 2-3 days."

F- on your tech support there Dell....

Oh, and we're past that 2-3 days, and still no BIOS.

11 Posts

June 4th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the information. At least, we know they are working on it. 2 - 3 days wasn't that bad. 

June 5th, 2015 11:00

This situation is ridiculous...I bought a dell 7140 from Best Buy a couple of days ago, and it's still on the A01 bios which is very buggy. I have no way to download the newer bios updates since Dell removed them from their site. I've looked everywhere and cannot find a link to them on any other website.

As a result, I can't even use my keyboard dock with the 7140 because it randomly shuts down. I have to use it in tablet mode. I'm pretty sure the bios update fixes this issue, but there is no way to get the bios.

Does anyone have the A03, A04, or A05 update that they could send me? Using the tablet without the keyboard is really frustrating.

Thanks,

GabrielSlade

8 Posts

June 8th, 2015 10:00

I called Dell Support on the missing BIOS issue again a few minutes ago and still no resolution and no A05 or follow-on BIOS.   TS very politely repeated that there was no BIOS if there wasn't one on the Support site and tried to explain how I could get to the site to check, which I already know.  All Support can do currently is apparently say there will be a new BIOS when its on the Support page of Drivers and Downloads page for the 7140.  Anyone know someone at Dell who could get the A05  version made available with a set of specific installation instructions like "install only while tablet is not Docked to any devices."

11 Posts

June 8th, 2015 20:00

Agreed, they could put a installation guide, instead of deleting the driver from the cite. They can't even give a time frame. It might take months or years, who knows.

June 8th, 2015 22:00

All we need is one kind soul to upload it somewhere and share the link. Surely someone downloaded it before it was removed. They could upload it somewhere and send a private message.

828 Posts

June 10th, 2015 16:00

Guys, there have been a few reports of failed BIOS updates on the 7140.   This isn't common but it also isn't a good experience if it does happen so we've pulled the BIOS updates off support.dell.com temporarily.  As soon as we understand why this is happening, we'll repost at least a new BIOS and potentially the older ones as well.   There are very limited fixes in the BIOS updates for this system - what is updated is primarily for preboot (bitlocker, UEFI, etc).   Net, if you are at A02/A03/A04, there should be no pressing need to update to A05 unless you need alpha-character support in the pre-boot bitlocker keyboard.   The workaround for this would be to attach a USB keyboard for now.

Will follow up as soon as possible but at this time there is not an ETA to re-post.

8 Posts

June 10th, 2015 18:00

Unfortunately some of us with recently purchased tablets have been trapped at A01 because there is no update now on the support site.   A05 with a caution and installation instructions seems an alternative while a new version is developed.

11 Posts

June 10th, 2015 19:00

hi Brian,

thanks for your replay. Same situation here. bought on best buy, comes with A01 bios. need bug fix and performances enhancement. I don't have the docking station and should be fine upgrade to a05. is there a way you can give us a download link.

No Events found!