Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2015 09:00

Venue 7840 and Android Marshmallow

I haven't seen any posts online discussing a migration to Marshmallow for the Dell tablets. Also, I haven't seen any promises to keep up with the security patches like LG, Samsung and others have stated. I'm a big fan of this tablet but would like some sense of the plans to ensure these things. The Dell product is a flagship price for an Android tablet and should offer flagship consideration.

10 Posts

September 15th, 2015 10:00

Good luck with that.

They've barely supported their devices through 4.4.x and few and far between for 5.x. Android 6.x (Marshmallow) will be a pipe dream to say the least.

Sell it now while you can make some money on it and get a supported device from a reputable Android partner.

38 Posts

September 16th, 2015 13:00

+1 sell it on craigslist.

step two, anything but dell.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2015 14:00

Well, I hope that's not the position of Dell. I have owned and user-tested... Asus Zenpad S8, Google Nexus 9, Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2, LG G Pad 8.3, and both of the Samsung Tab S and S2 products. So, I will note there are a number of strong unsung positives to this tablet but the biggest area for improvement would be in battery life. There are a few other small miscues but, overall, this is a top piece of tech. The simple introduction of Marshmallow may (not sure till tested) go a long way to addressing the battery life issue.

For Dell, it would also be wise to have a formal position in favor of ongoing updates given the rash of high impact security issues starting with Stagefright up to the most recent password hack. Exposure of personal data and/or content puts both their consumer and, eventually, this manufacturer at risk.

What do you say Dell team?

41 Posts

September 19th, 2015 15:00

Crickets... Del originally said that our tablets were going to get lolipop at launch. They said it would come out the next month then the next month then the next month then the next month. They only released loli after the press caught wind of this debacle. This is my last Dell device i will ever buy. No wonder why their stock is crumbling and they keep firing off hundreds of employees.

73 Posts

September 20th, 2015 10:00

Umm... there is no Dell stock.  It was taken back private over a year ago.  I don't know if they will release Marshmellow for this tab, but I went out and bought the Dell Venue 10 and it's a great Lollipop tablet.  And with the keyboard it's like an Android laptop.  So Dell keep the devices coming and firmware upgrades....

38 Posts

September 26th, 2015 00:00

lol dell working on a marshmallow rom for this tablet..

Likely they will be out of business before that happens.

30 Posts

September 29th, 2015 07:00

I sold the disaster that is the 7840 on Swappa a month ago.  Dell is the worst at support, which is a shame because the hardware was very nice.  The move to SD function never worked right, and with the latest update, Dell screwed up the sound making the speakers crackle and pop.  I'm done with Dell.  My advice to you is to sell it and move on.

November 12th, 2015 06:00

Why bother wasting the time to post this drivel. I hope dell plans on supporting the devices through Marshmallow - if not - they need to get out of the tablet business. 

November 12th, 2015 06:00

I'm really enjoying the Venue 10. I hope they give it marshmallow. I'm surprised there are so few android tabs with keyboard - great travel device. (without the keyboard it would not be near as cool)

No Events found!