Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2017 17:00

Venue 8 Pro Factory Reset

My Venue 8 Pro is a few years old. Upgraded the OS last year to Windows 10.

Yesterday, suddenly the start screen and the all apps screen are both completely empty. I can get to web pages and some settings by using Cortana search, but can't access most apps. I am unable to download, install, and run things as the download seems to work, but I can never get the window that asks me to do the installation.

So, it seems like its time to do a factory reset and return the tablet to its original contents. (I don't store any important info on the tablet - I keep all that on my desktop, so no great loss of data.) But I can't find a way to do a factory reset.

I've tried several things I found on-line. None of these work:
- During boot, go to boot options. I am able to choose Windows Boot Manager, but that just boots the existing Windows 10 system.
- During boot, go to setup. That does not try an auto repair and gives me no useful choices.
- Ran the diagnostics from setup. No problems found.
- From Settings, Recovery tried Reset this PC. Got the message "Could not find the recovery environment. Insert your Windows installation or recovery media."
- From Shift-restart whet to Troubleshoot. But there I did not find an option for Backup and Recovery.

So, How do I reset my Venue 8 Pro to its orignal contents?

Thanks.

• 

17K Posts

February 7th, 2017 10:00

maroldj,

You can click the link below for information restoring your tablet.

Venue 8 pro 

System Recovery Options

4 Posts

February 7th, 2017 14:00

Jesse,

That doesn't work.  I had tried it first.  I get the message: "Could not find the recovery environment. Insert your Windows installation or recovery media."  My Venue 8 Pro did not come with any recovery media and the guide that came with it did not include any instructions to create recovery media.

John

4 Posts

February 7th, 2017 22:00

Is there a way I can get recovery media for the Venue 8 Pro?  Download?  Ordering it?

• 

17K Posts

February 8th, 2017 05:00

maroldj,

Below are some knowledge base articles for resolving the issue with your tablet.

Dell Venue Pro 8 and Venue Pro 11 do not have Dell Backup and Recovery Manager Installed

Click below for obtaining the media.

Dell Windows Backup Media and Recovery Options

8 Posts

February 8th, 2017 11:00

I did the following to factory reset mine:

From login screen (log out if you are logged in):

1. Tap the “Accessibility” icon
  2. Disable “Sticky Keys”
  3. Tap “On screen keyboard”
  4. Tap “Shift”
  5. Tap “Power” icon
  6. Tap “Restart”

After the restart:

1. Tap “Troubleshoot”
  2. Tap “Reset your PC”

After the restart:

1. Tap [Next]
  2. Tap either “Just remove my files” or “Fully clean the drive”

I chose the latter since I needed to start completely fresh to remove the old password which no one knew.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2017 17:00

A few more problems, but I have eventually been able to reset the system.  

There is no Recovery Image available from Dell.  I got the message "Recovery image not available for your service tag."

I was able to download and install Dell Backup and Recovery.  After doing that, then the approach suggested by Raxe worked.  Prior to installing Dell Backup and Recovery, the "Reset your PC" option was not available from Troubleshoot.

This all worked because, though my Windows 10 system was severely broken, It still worked well enough to boot and let me install a program.  Seems like there would have been no solution if that was not the case.  I would have expected that I should have been able to start the system, go to boot options, and then boot directly from a recovery image included in the system.

Now that I have a working system, should I be creating an external bootable recovery image?  Can that be done on a USB flash drive and can the system boot from that when the time comes?  Do I use Dell Backup and Recovery to create that?

Thanks

1 Message

January 2nd, 2020 15:00

I have done everything up to the point where it tries to reset. I then get a prompt asking for a recovery key in order to reset my tablet. I have the recovery key the problem is it wont bring up a keyboard for me to enter the key. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2023 02:00

i have a bios password issues on my Venue 8 Pro how to resolve this

2 Posts

July 15th, 2023 02:00

i have a bios password issues on my Venue 8 Pro how to resolve this

No Events found!