Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 1st, 2015 23:00

Venue 8 Pro + Windows 10 = power drain / CPU throttling problem

I have reported this already about 8 months ago while being in the insider program over the Microsoft feedback tools, so I am very pleased that this bug still is present in the final version...

The problem is simple, and I have two friends whos Venue 8 Pro show the same behavior after upgrading to Windows 10.

I have tried a clean install too, I have tried the newest drivers for the Intel Z3700 series Dell had put online for Windows 10, without any success.

The problem is simple:

1.) Let Windows idle

2.) Open TaskManager (or for example CPUz) and monitor CPU throttling

Under Windows 10, the CPU throttling seem to be broken for at least an Intel Atom BayTrail (3700 series). The CPU always stays around 1.3-1.7GHz @ 1-3% CPU load.

The same (normal) idle behavior under Windows 8.1 results in the processor correctly using it lowest energy states between 0.5-0.8GHz. This results in a way noticeable faster battery drain.

2nd bug, mostly related: The battery drain in connected standby is about 3 times higher (~1.1mW/h), compared to Windows 8.1 (~0.33mW/h). The normal drain, by Microsoft itself, is 0.3mW/h for a device supporting connected standby mode.

Heres a video showing problem 1:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14937594/win10cpubug.mp4

You can see how the CPU throttling is not working properly always staying at mid-highe throttling state of the Atom CPU. Normal throttling would be 0.8GHz.

Here is how it should correctly be:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14937594/normal-idle-throttling.mp4

(sorry for the bad quality)

On my desktop PC and my Asus Ultrabook the throttling work fine, so it seems a problem related to the Atom BayTrail drivers under Windows 10 or a combination of things.

77 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 10:00

I can confirm this exact behavior on my Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 64GB on Windows 10 Home 32-bit (A11 bios). Great videos to demonstrate the problem! The speed tends to float between the default 1.3ghz and the max 1.8ghz when idling, without throttling down like 8.1. I once saw it drop to 0.49ghz in task manager for about 1-2 minutes, but it didn't last, as that was clearly an anomaly. Please fix this as soon as possible.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 12:00

This happens on my venue 8 pro 5830 32Gb.

This problem causes so much heat and battery drain.

I reinstalled all drivers and at last i reinstalled Windows 10, but it doesn't seem to be fixed.

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

I see it's a different issue, editing my post.

123 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 11:00

Sigh... no it's not. Please dont post bogus information misleading other people/mods/dell. What you say has absolutely nothing to do with this problem. It works under Windows 8.1 normally, under Windows 10 it's broken. As simple as that. Yes I am aware about that bios change which happend, A04? That was years ago, I am talking about a WINDOWS 10 RELATED PROBLEM CAUSING THE NOT LOCKED CORES NOT THROTTLING DOWN WHEN IDLING. It happens on other BayTrail tablets too from Lenovo and whatsoever, I guess all of them.

Bam:

Thank you :-)

August 5th, 2015 15:00

Same problem here with my Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 64GB...

2 Posts

August 7th, 2015 13:00

Any solution on the way, Dell?

157 Posts

August 10th, 2015 10:00

I'm seeing the same effect on my V8P-64. Localized heat in the lower left and the speed rate in Properties varies from 1.33 to 1.8. No throttling at all, even when idle.

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 22:00

Have exactly the same Problem. Hope Dell will fix this as fast as possible.

August 20th, 2015 00:00

Thank you for writing this up! This problem has completely stumped me. I tried messing with the bios and importing power profiles from Windows 8.1 with no success.

Why aren't more people complaining about this? It is clearly a huge bug and makes the Dell Venue 8 Pro impossible to use as an all day device. 

Please help Dell!

2 Posts

August 20th, 2015 01:00

Well, I suppose there will be no fix, because the problem exists since month. It starts with the windows 10 previews. So MS, Intel and so on ignore this issue, because anybody should buy a new tablet and dont stay with the "old" ones. Windows 10 for free?

Just reinstalled windows 8.1 on my Venue, suprise the free space on the ssd is much bigger than ever before. No need to go for windows 10.

123 Posts

August 20th, 2015 06:00

Because most ordinary people have no insight how a PC works or how it should work normally. This bug wont show yourself in the form of a bluescreen or error, so most people think everything works fine in Windows 10.

I have also posted this bug on the Microsoft and Intel forums here:

Microsoft Forum

Intel forum

With no answer! This is unbelievable... Would be nice if the people who posted here also post on those posts to bump them up and maybe we get an answer to it in the next years.

1 Message

August 21st, 2015 04:00

The same problem on my Venue 8 Pro 64GB 3G. Going back to 8.1 because of this. I dont understand why they advertise on there site that device was tested and is fully supported with Windows 10?

123 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 01:00

Still no answer by Dell, this is a joke. Could maybe someone contact Dell via phone or ticket and tell them about this problem? I dont have warranty answer so I cant do it.

October 16th, 2015 06:00

A12 BIOS released!

Fixes CPU bug on Windows 10

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverID=TM39T&productCode=dell-venue-8-pro

Enhancements

- Enhanced touch function under BIOS setup menu.

- Enhanced CPU performance for Win 10

- Modified some information in SMBIOS to meet Win10 requirements.

15 Posts

October 16th, 2015 09:00

Thanks eaferrari24.
"They also serve who only stand and wait." (Milton)

No Events found!