Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2014 18:00

Venue Pro 11 vPro 7130 TPM issue (now bricked)

Power up my tablet and I get this message at boot; 

A configuration change was requested to clear this computer's TPM (Trusted Platform Module)

Press F12 to clear the TPM

Press ESC to reject this change request and continue

TPM was not  configured. And support could find no way to press ESC.......

There is nothing that will bring this back, USB keyboard, gets no power from USB port yet.. so can't ESC or F12

on the Tablet Dock with the USB keyboard plugged in will not see the keyboard.

Pwr + Vol+ gets to diagnostic boot selected... and thats it. Vol- or Vol+ does nothing (can't see any menu's) 

Pwr+ Vol- does nothing

Dell Support across the pond out of ideas... the scripts are very short in this area....

Any Ideas?

Monty

828 Posts

January 10th, 2014 12:00

This is happening because the BIOS isn't enumerating the USB hub prior to showing the error message.   This was done to meet Microsoft fast boot requirements.  Unfortunately, this means that there is no way to get out of the error loop you are stuck in.   The new BIOS will resolve this problem going forward by enabling the volume up/down to interact with this prompt, but that obviously doesn't help you at this point.    The only solution at this point is to swap the device.   This likely occurred because the TPM was activated and ownership data was changed after that.

When you get your new machine, you can turn change the POST behavior from minimal to thorough (so that the USB will enumerate), or flash A07 to resolve (once available).

Sorry for the troubles.

24 Posts

January 9th, 2014 18:00

Yeah mines been having alot of problems, can't get it to function one bit. Can't they just send a replacement.

2 Posts

January 10th, 2014 08:00

Stuck on the same issue I have the tablet hooked up to a latitude 10 dock and still not working.

214 Posts

January 10th, 2014 08:00

Use a Powered USB hub to supply power to keyboard; connect the upsteam cable from hub to OTG dongle (if Venue 8) or USB 3 port (if Venue 11)...

13 Posts

January 10th, 2014 09:00

Lou,

I gave it a shot, but  no go. Seems the Bios has not turned on the USB port for input at this point in time. Running A05 bios. Look soon for "A06" Dell wants it back. Good thing I made a sysprep image of it. Data will not be recoverable.

Brian, if you want the hardware its on;

Service Request Number

From my new buddys Mohan_Amit and his Manager Sameer_Nair      Both at  @dell.com

A burning Question is this, "Would the Tablet Keyboard - Mobile work in this situation?"

However;

In a good design, you should never need any supporting accessories for common core functionality.

Cheers,

Monty

It's too bad, we have scratched this product for deployment @ replacing 25k + Latitude i5's...... Our internal Help Desk ticket count would cost us big $$$.

214 Posts

January 10th, 2014 11:00

@ Monty..." — "Dock" does not  = "Powered Hub" in this instance — unless it behaves the same way during boot. You can test to see if a USB port on any dock or hub remains continuously powered throughout tablet boot sequence, by connecting a lighted device (thumb drive, USB-powered LED lamp, etc.) & observe if power is present thru startup; if/when you find a port which remains powered, connect your keyboard to that same port. Still not a 'sure thing' you'll be able to interrupt boot sequence, but there's no chance, if keyboard isn't getting power @ that critical point...

If you do decide to try my suggestion of powered hub, a USB 2.0 hub may be a better choice over 3.0 hub, because 2.0 devices are typically less-sophisticated at throttling power to "idle" ports; a correctly-configured USB "Y" injector cable will work equally well — and no chance there's any 'intelligence' in there that's gonna interfere with the plan (still advise checking it w/ a lighted device 1st).

¡Buena suerte!

(I recognize names from Mobility Support which you mentioned; unfortunately, they've also come to know mine; appears to be a rather "compact" team.)

214 Posts

!

13 Posts

Thanks for the follow up Lou, Yes it was a USB 2.0 hub and a couple of Y's to get er Done.  And I did put my olde thumb drive in the USB port and it didn't flash once on boot. The TPM seems to catch it before the BIOS turns on the ports.  

Cheers,

Monty

13 Posts

Thanks Brian, I agree with everything but the TPM comment. I was looking at the logs for the  "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." Noticed a lot of TPM warnings about errors and setting ownership, to run the TPM setup. Since I didn't config TPM, I ignored them.  TPM would be configured when the tablet is deployed to the end user. My mission was to build a gold image for this device. A script would set TPM when it is deployed to the end user. 

Cheers,

Monty

13 Posts

January 10th, 2014 13:00

Correct

Plan was to hit it with the tried and true EnableBitlocker.vbs Startup script on deployment.... TPM was not configured during the gold build.

Monty

828 Posts

Thanks Brian, I agree with everything but the TPM comment. I was looking at the logs for the  "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." Noticed a lot of TPM warnings about errors and setting ownership, to run the TPM setup. Since I didn't config TPM, I ignored them.  TPM would be configured when the tablet is deployed to the end user. My mission was to build a gold image for this device. A script would set TPM when it is deployed to the end user. 

Cheers,

Monty

Are you saying that you didn't turn on TPM at any point?

828 Posts

Correct

Plan was to hit it with the tried and true EnableBitlocker.vbs Startup script on deployment.... TPM was not configured during the gold build.

Monty

OK, I misunderstood then.   I think the outcome is still likely the same, but I don't know why you ended up there.   Let me talk to our BIOS guys.

24 Posts

January 10th, 2014 15:00

What A07 I hav dell i3 7130 so far there only A05 available from dell site, where's A06 why we jumping from 5 to 7 how dobi get A06 mabe that's a fix to some of my issues

214 Posts

January 10th, 2014 16:00

I believe that both A06 & A07 are still "TBA" status, and the '06 may remain an internal release, with the next public update being A07 — '05 is most current release available for download...

On the other hand — "A04" is still the most current release for the Venue 8 Pro — even tho we be whinin' longer...

24 Posts

January 10th, 2014 20:00

Ok but us consumers bought these tablets as a device in where we thought they would fully function as a tablet or a device you spent around $600 for, and since the A06,7 are repair updates to make the devices work as they were intended to I want to get them. If the updates were just software updates or tweaks to the UI or how the interface looks I would be less caring on getting then on time, however they are repair updates so I do request to get them out.
No Events found!