Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2013 16:00

XPS 10, 8.1 Preview, Dell Logo, Dock

I installed the 8.1 Preview the first day it was available and everything was working fine. What I have discovered since updating is that I can only boot my XPS 10 successfully if it is in the dock.  If I pull it out of the dock and try to reboot it the screen will stop at the Dell Logo.  If I force shut down, put it back in the dock, and turn it on it will boot up successfully.

I know many people have experienced the issue with being stuck at the Dell Logo after upgrading to RT 8.1 Preview, has anyone else experienced the issue where the computer can startup when it is docked but not when it is undocked? 

2.6K Posts

July 25th, 2013 11:00

Hello XBalance,

As per the update from the product research team, we would request you to try the suggestions mentioned in the article by Dell Support.

Hope this helps!

2.6K Posts

July 15th, 2013 06:00

Hello XBalance,

Please try the suggestions mentioned by Antonio Banderas in this thread which seems to have helped few users.

Hope this helps!

12 Posts

July 15th, 2013 12:00

Allan - I had read that post, and for a while I was trying to implement the recommended solution.  But I discovered that my Dell would work perfectly with 8.1 (relatively speaking) as long as I had the tablet in the dock.  Nowhere on that long discussion did anyone else mention that they only experienced frozen logo issue when their tablet was undocked.

2.6K Posts

July 16th, 2013 10:00

Hello XBalance,

You were right. It seems that no one actually mentioned about docking the system after upgrading to Windows8.1. Since you are facing the issue only after undocking the table, we would troubleshoot the issue for the same. Hence I would request you try the suggestions in the thread mentioned in my last post.

12 Posts

July 17th, 2013 09:00

Alan, I am assuming you work for Dell.  Do you actually have access to a XPS 10 computer that is running 8.1?  This is really a one of a kind product for Dell so it would be nice if someone at Dell was actually working along with all of us wild and crazy customers that put our confidence in Dell, and Microsoft.  Given the complexity of the proposed solution, and the fact I don't have a usb with Windows 8 RT, and the fact I can use my device with the dock, I will wait for 8.1.  I was trying to see if anyone else had my exact problem and solution with the dock.  It sure would be nice if Dell had people reading a trying to re-create the issues being listed here.  

2.6K Posts

July 18th, 2013 07:00

Hello XBalance,

I would like to tell you that,  I am writing to the product research team to check what exactly needs to be done. I would get back to you as soon as I get an update from them.

Thank you for co-operating with us.

58 Posts

July 18th, 2013 12:00

Alan, I am assuming you work for Dell.  Do you actually have access to a XPS 10 computer that is running 8.1?  This is really a one of a kind product for Dell so it would be nice if someone at Dell was actually working along with all of us wild and crazy customers that put our confidence in Dell, and Microsoft.  Given the complexity of the proposed solution, and the fact I don't have a usb with Windows 8 RT, and the fact I can use my device with the dock, I will wait for 8.1.  I was trying to see if anyone else had my exact problem and solution with the dock.  It sure would be nice if Dell had people reading a trying to re-create the issues being listed here.  

Dell might test the XPS10 with the 8.1 Preview, but right now only the RT is supported.  Until Dell sells it with 8.1 it won't be supported by them. 

The only help you will get on this issue is going to be limited to what other people have posted. 

12 Posts

July 18th, 2013 15:00

Good point regarding 8.1 not being Dell supported, and since I have a solution for living with 8.1 preview I am expecting this issue to be resolved when MSFT releases 8.1 to production.  

I would be very content if Dell would answer the 8.0 questions.  In particular, I would really like an answer on what they are doing to fix the issue that is keeping the device from being able to sleep when the tablet is closed on the dock.

No Events found!