Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2013 11:00

XPS 10 - Software update available

A software update for the XPS 10 is available as of today!    All XPS 10 owners should apply this patch at their earliest convenience.   To do so, swipe in from the right, click Settings, click Change PC Settings, scroll to the bottom and Select Windows Update and then Check for updates now.    After updates are installed, this process should be repeated until no further updates are listed.

To verify that you have the update, swipe in from the right and select Search,    Make sure that Apps is selected and type MSINFO32 in the search box and hit enter.   Located the BIOS Version/Date field - it should now say Dell Inc. A03, 12/28/2012.

This update will prevent your device from going into a hung state if the battery is allowed to deplete to 0%.   After applying this update, the device will power on at 0% if the AC adapter is attached (without having to pre-charge the device first).

This update also resolves an intermittent issue where the rear camera could show a black screen when first entering the camera app.

44 Posts

February 12th, 2013 16:00

Opps, didn't mean to post here.

43 Posts

October 7th, 2013 19:00

major and real issue is this

Issue 2: Battery Behavior on the XPS 10

The XPS 10 tablet and the optional keyboard dock have separate individual batteries. 

• If the AC adapter is not connected when the tablet is docked, the keyboard dock battery will be used first. Once the keyboard dock battery is drained,the keyboard dock will no longer function. You may disconnect the tablet and use it separately using the tablet battery for power.
  • The keyboard dock battery will supply power to both the tablet and the keyboard dock. The tablet battery cannot supply power to the keyboard dock. 
  • If the tablet is docked, the taskbar icon will only show one battery icon even though both batteries are available (one in the tablet and one in the keyboard dock). Clicking on the battery icon in desktop mode will open the battery status detail window. This window shows the individual details for each battery. Battery #1 is the tablet battery. Battery #2 is the keyboard dock battery.

clearly shows the dock battery being used first and even explains here is link directly from dell site, http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=585019

and as of today no one has fixed this issue yet....... the battery is oppositie of what it was designed to do, it forces to use tab battery over keybord and then switches to keybord after dock is at 6%.... if u guys are working on this then shows us or tell us, if there is any updates please provide me info.

43 Posts

October 14th, 2013 09:00

just to be clear*** the image above is an image from dell website calming how it should work, in my case the battery status is OPPOSITE it will use BATTERY 1 (tab battery) before using BATTERY 2 (dock battery)

828 Posts

The dock should discharge first - this is working as intended and sounds like the behavior you are seeing?

43 Posts

i clearly said its using the TABLET battery first and not the DOCK battery, but as u said it is intended to use the DOCK battery first which is NOT happening. so its not working as intended? idk were u think it says its using the dock battery like intended?

1 Message

October 15th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

thanks for the info on the update.

I bought a XPS 10 with its dock and in my case the dock battery is first depleted. So after 5 hours of use my tablet is still 100% charged and my docked is fully depleted. (This is in my case the problem, cause the dock reduces the length of time i can type compared with none battery enhancing keyboards...)

however, I do not have access to the battery status of the dock like mentioned in the tutorial. Thefore it is kind of tricky when i type without knowing when it will stop working. Is it normal not to have access to this informaiton?

Also, I would like to know whether or not the kensington folio keyboard, described in the dell website, is compatible with the XPS 10. I can't this information in the product description, only the lattitud 10 is mentioned as compatible. 

828 Posts

October 15th, 2013 10:00

I'll update a sample unit with the latest firmwares and try this again.

43 Posts

October 15th, 2013 14:00

ok thax finally good to know someone's working on this issue. please keep us updated on how ur work on that firmware update is going and if it fixes the issue so I can fix my device thank you.

828 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 16:00

I've been fooling around with this for the past couple days and have noticed similar behavior to what you describe.   On my device, both the tablet and keyboard dock batteries discharge simultaneously, but the tablet battery goes quicker.   If I play music in the keyboard dock (thus using the speakers), it will deplete faster than if I don't.   If I don't touch the keyboard or touchpad, the dock discharges very slowly.

So, it appears that both devices are discharging at the same time, but that the tablet uses much more power (LCD, processor, etc) and thus depletes much quicker.

I'll ask if there is anything that can be done to change this or not.    The intent was as is documented, but I'm not sure that this is going to be possible.

43 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 20:00

k I see, well please contact them on the possibility of it, as it will make it more energy effeicant and having a better charge on my tablet as I don't use my dock much other then typing. and even if keybord dock runs out first then I still have a lot of battery left over for the tab so I can just touch type. it will be more energy affeciant before going to school I can type my essay and I will be using dock and tab then when im leaving I leave the dock at home and have lots of battery still in my tab there are lots of goods out of this idea, or even a possibility of choosing which setting you preffer. please ask them to look on to it if they could update this. and keep us updated.

43 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 11:00

since ur having same problem can u also describe if ur dell xps 10 is a 32 g version or 64 gb? it might be were just the 64 gb versions r having the problem?

828 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 12:00

Agree that the preferred battery drain would be dock first, then tablet.  

43 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 23:00

has anyone conformed anything yet/ or is there a tweak I can do myself?

No Events found!