Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2013 16:00

venue 8 pro WiFi Issues - After Windows Update - DON NOT INSTALL KB2903939

Last night when running windows update I noticed that one of the updates caused my WiFi to fail. My tablet wouldn't let me enable my Wifi card. I had to recover my comptuer quite a few times to finally find out what update was causing the problem.

KB2903939 from Windows update was the cause for my headaches! fortunatley you are able to uninstal it.

If you are having this issues you can always uninstall it and it will restore your wifi.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

January 8th, 2014 16:00

Thanks Dagula29. I experienced the exact same problem as you described with my new Dell Venue 8 Pro. I uninstalled KB2903939 and after restarting the device it has fixed the issue. Much appreciated.

This was caused by a Microsoft update sequence error which they fixed last week.

Here is the full fix:

This issue may occur if specific Windows Updates are not installed in the proper order. Microsoft has made a change to prevent further customers from getting into this state.  Customers must now have a pre-requisite update (KB 2883200) installed before being offered these updates.   

To restore wireless connectivity:

1.     Uninstall all of the following updates:

·         KB 2887595 – Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: November 2013

·         KB 2903939 – Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: December 2013

To uninstall an update, go to the Control Panel and select Programs.  Then, under Programs and Features, select View installed updates.  Select the updates listed above and click Uninstall.  If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.     Install the updates listed below.  When you run Windows Update, the updates will now automatically be installed in the proper order.  You must restart the computer after you apply each update.

·        Install KB 2883200

·        Install KB 2887595 and KB 2903939. 

3 Posts

December 10th, 2013 18:00

DO NOT install the Dec update, caused the wireless to disconnect on my venue pro 8. Tried uninstalling KB2903939 but that didn't help. Had to reset it back to factory settings.

Btw, I noticed my tablet keeps crashing as well. Noticed a weird bugcheck code of 0x0000014f in event log and a couple errors that seems to suggest touch screen issue but this only happened after the Dec update. Before that it was working flawlessly.

4 Posts

December 10th, 2013 19:00

update KB 2883200 also caused this problem. If you uninstall this it all goes back to normal

4 Posts

Try to uninstall KB 2883200 this update also is buggy

3 Posts

I can confirm similar issues.

Purchased my Venue 8 Pro yesterday. Ran through setting up all my stuff. This morning I did Windows Update which installed many items including KB2903939 and two problems started: 1) WIFI is showing disabled, I try to enable it, does not work. Device manager looks fine. 2) When the device goes to sleep, it powers off.

Can't say if it's this particular KB as about 15 updates were installed today.

Anyone have additional details about this?

<-- Dell Venue Pro 8 32GB

_sean

2 Posts

December 11th, 2013 06:00

I have also found this issue. it looks like its not just this update but the November update as well.

KB2887595

Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: November 2013

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887595

Known issue

We are working with the driver manufacturer to resolve this issue. For now, Windows Update does not offer this update for computers that have certain drivers installed (including Rtbth.sys and Netr28x.sys).

KB2903939

Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: December 2013

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903939

I wonder if this is an MS issue or Qualcomm issue.

56 Posts

I also had problem on one pc with KB2903939 - please see my post at Windows 8 Forums -

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/37014-network-failure-after-loading-latest-updates-win-8-1-a.html

Evidently some people are having problems with this update, some are not. I currently do not have it installed, and have it "hidden" until I find a solution. 

If I find a solution, I will post it here - please do the same for me.  Thanks.  Good Luck!

56 Posts

Thank you, KPAPADAK, for your information regarding known issue,  I really feel better to know MS at least knows about the issue.    

2 Posts

December 11th, 2013 15:00

Unfortunately the article is not detailed. I wonder if Dell/Qualcomm and MS are working towards a resolution here. 

18 Posts

December 11th, 2013 17:00

Who, knows.  Maybe it's just related to the order of the updates.  I installed all the updates and then those two last.  Maybe that was the trick.

18 Posts

I had the same problem from Windows updates.  I got it to work by refreshing then ignoring two updates.  But then I read where someone did a different Windows update than I had seen and then were able to do the other two.  I searched for that update on MS's website and it said it was related to Server 2012.  Figured the only reason he would have had that update when I didn't was if he installed something relative to Server 2012.  Looked in the Windows 8 store and found "My Server 2012 R2" and installed it.  After that, I tried the installs and WIFI worked fine.

13 Posts

I've posted about this in another thread. I've heard from a couple sources they've reached out to MS and Dell. Dell apparently has a fix coming in the next week, fingers crossed. They're doing a terrible job explaining that on the forums.

So, make sure you uninstall KB2903939 and 2887595. Then, hide those updates.

DO NOT TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES - that's silly, and prevents your being protecting from fixes in updates that do work.

Here's my article on the issue: http://aurir.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/having-wifi-issues-with-dell-venue-pro-8-uninstall-microsoft-patch-kb2887595/

And would someone finally mark the right answers in these forums? I can't mark my own post as an answer, but it does solve the problem :)

Thanks and Best,

-Auri

18 Posts

I've installed both those updates, and WIFI still works.  Originally, they knocked out my wifi, but after reading a response to your article where the author installed a Windows update that wasn't even on my list I looked up that update and MS said it was related to Windows server.  So, I tried installing the server (My Server 2012 R2) from the Windows store and then did the updates and my wifi works fine now.

1 Message

December 13th, 2013 21:00

In fact in my Dell Venue 8 Pro, I just installed all the software dell offered recently (except DDP), and installed those two updates again, everything's fine.

That's all my installed:

Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 A04 BIOS 

Intel Platform Driver Installer 

Panel Touch Firmware for Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 

And that's all, everything's fine.

1 Message

January 6th, 2014 14:00

We had the same issue that everyone else is having.  We rectified it by going to the "search' menu and searched "Device Manager".  Once there, locate the Network adapters tab and open it.  Then hold on "Dell Wireless Adaptor" for two seconds.  A box will show up to uninstall and/or disable the wireless adaptor.  You want to click on "disable" and confirm this.  Once it is disabled, hold on "Dell Wireless Adaptor" again for two seconds until the same box appears.  No click on "enable" and confirm.

This is what fixed our wireless issue.  Hope it works for others.

No Events found!