This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 14th, 2017 20:00

Does Unity NAS can support Apple Mac access via SMB

Hi Unity Guru,

Recently our Unity Unified customer have a request want to SMB folder share for Apple Mac users use , but this scenario real test result is not supported ( Apple Mac Users cannot see and access this share ). I would like request Unity Guru to confirm whether Unity NAS does not support Apple Mac via SMB ? if answer is yes ( current not support ) ! Does Unity Unified function improvement roadmap whether will support this feature?

Appreciate for your great help. Thanks a lot !

Best Regards,

Edward.

19 Posts

April 15th, 2017 02:00

Hi,
I dont know on official support for the OS X, but I do know that we have few hundred mac's connecting to the users personal home shares on unity with smb and working without problems. (Ad authentication used for the Macs and for the smb share)

April 17th, 2017 07:00

yes it is supported..what SMB version you are using? if you can capture a network trace to check the negotiation phase...it sounds like it is failing in negotiation regards.

8.6K Posts

April 18th, 2017 04:00

yes i should work just like it did on VNX and Celerra

of course you need to authenticate (login/passord) with an account from either a Windows Active Directory domain and from the Unity NAS server local users DB.

We will not authenticate SMB against netinfo/passwd or NIS - just like others

The "cannot see" depends on how the Apple finder is configured for network browsing - we provide WINS and DNS and probably also netbios broadcast.

If you are sure you are using a valid auth and it doesnt work then please take network traces and open a service request.

4.5K Posts

April 26th, 2017 13:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

June 24th, 2021 10:00

any solution guys.

MAC OS users using CIFS shares has lot of latancy, windows user access is faster enough accessing the shares.

Unity CIFS shares

• 

6.9K Posts

June 24th, 2021 15:00

Hello Ball_Storage_team_Backup_Team,

Which unity system do you have and what is your current OE?

June 25th, 2021 07:00

I have Unity450F- code -5.0.6.0.5.008

looks MAC os users have latency of more than 15+ minutes to open a single file, 
same file when opened from Windows user, it is fast[few seconds]
all are on same network.
Apple says check with storage, vice-versa.

any help techies.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 25th, 2021 09:00

Have you reviewed Dell EMC Unity Family Configuring SMB File Sharing, or Dell EMC Unity Family Configuring Hosts to Access SMB File Systems?  I would double check your configuration to make sure that it set for optimal performance.

https://dell.to/2UHZAVf

https://dell.to/3jrVv1N

June 25th, 2021 11:00

Thanks, Sam for these documents, but Unity is configured for the best performance already. The only issue that we are seeing is with the macOS clients, and these documents do not mention them. Is there anything we can do specifically for the mac clients that can help them better access the SMB shares? Users are taking 15 to 30 minutes to get access to a single folder.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 25th, 2021 16:00

Let me look and see if I can any setting for mac.

8.6K Posts

July 26th, 2021 02:00

that is quite unusual

I would suggest to take a network trace and open a support case

From the trace it should be possible to determine whats going on

If you arent on the latest Unity OE its also usually a good idea to upgrade 

No Events found!