Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2016 06:00

Which physical port is used as synchronous replication interface on unity?

Which physical port is used as synchronous replication interface on unity?

8.6K Posts

June 15th, 2016 07:00

For sync block replication the Fibre Channel port used is the first FC port configured

Details are in the Unity Replication Technologies white paper

8.6K Posts

Its probably clearer in the actual replication manual – also available from support.emc.com

When you create replication interfaces for synchronous replication, you must use the

Ethernet Port titled 'Sync Replication Management Port' to configure an IP address on each SP.

This port is specifically used for management of the synchronous replication

session, leveraging the same physical interface as the storage system's Unisphere

management port, whereas the Fibre Channel (FC) ports are used for replicating data between systems.

thanks, may be i was not clear enough in my question:

Which physical Ethernet port is used for managing the syncronous replication which is referred to as the "Sync Replication Management Port" in the white paper?

• 

6.7K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 20:00

This may be better to create new thread but just for quick question....

Do you know if I change interface (using eth2 --- eth2&3 with link aggregation) , replication setting or session needs to recreate? As I found cli for changing interface, I believe I can keep existing replication session but not sure for link aggregation involved.

Thanks!

Aya

98 Posts

April 11th, 2017 08:00

Why do we need a separate  'Sync Replication Management Port'  IP which is using the same physical port of the Unity Management Port?  Can we not use the Management IP for the management commands like we do in Async Replication ?

8.6K Posts

April 11th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

several reasons

One is that the regular mgmt IP ends in a different part of the code as the replication management IPs.

For example the management services can failover between SP's independently from the data services

Also for the general management (GUI, CLI, REST) there is only IP that "floats" between the SP's depending on which one currently runs the management services.

This is the point where a user would sent his commands.

For the communication between the SP's for replication - like freeze/pause, fs expand we need a way to for one specific SP to talk to another specific SP.

These IP's are used by the code internally.

For async its actually the same - there we can just use the replication interfaces that are also used to transfer the data to also exchange commands and status.

Rainer

98 Posts

April 12th, 2017 03:00

Thank You for the quick reply. Much Appreciated

No Events found!