Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2012 11:00

Creating DRV(Dynamic Relocation Volumes)

Hi,

We are about to set up optimizer and I was just wondering on how to create DRV's that are required to perform swaps.

Any information on how to create (symcli command) would be useful. What are the best practices for creating DRVs.

Thanks in Advance

93 Posts

January 18th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

With Enginuity 5874, only mirrored DRV devices can be created.So, you would need to use the syntax:

create dev count=X, size=XXXXXX cyl, emulation=XXX, config=2-Way-DRV-Mir

1 Message

January 17th, 2012 12:00

Any help!

1.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 13:00

Optimizer works best when all your devices are the same size.

The DRVs should be as large as your largest device that will be optimized.

You need 2 DRVs for each swap that you want to be executed concurrently.  I think there is a difference in protection on VMAX vs. DMX.  Is your case a DMX or a VMAX?

448 Posts

DRV's are unprotected devices what array model are you trying to do this on and what code is it running (enginuity)?

You would have to create an unprotected device and then set the DRV flag on it.

And you may want to check this thread or I could just poach all of Stefano's data that he posted here.

https://community.emc.com/message/400056

31 Posts

Thanks Quincy!...at this time we are trying to set optmz on VMAX running 5875, the SE is 7.2.1.

I still wanted to know how to create a DRV. is there a command. symconfigure does not have one with the DRV attribute.

Also should the DRVs be created on a per diskgroup basis?Since you said 2 or more, where should these be created.

1.3K Posts

Also, just to be clear, Optimizer only works for thick devices, not VP devices.

38 Posts

With SMC if you select "Create Device" then in the Regular Device tab the option "Configuration" should have DRV as an option.

As mentioned for a VMAX the DRV are protected but I would assume this would be taken care of by SMC.

The disk group is not important for the DRV volumes however it may be of concern to your system layout or perfomance requirements.

Steve.

448 Posts

Stefano Del Corno did all sorts of work with this in the thread I posted a link to.

31 Posts

Robert,

We are doing this on a VMAX with 5875 enginurty.

how do i create an unprotected device and set the DRV flag?? -Thanks

1.3K Posts

I'm trying to find some documentation on Optimizer on VMAX.  As I recall the DRVs are mirrored in VMAX.  The swap process is quite different than DMX because we can mirror a whole volume to another using the virtual RAID that was introduced in VMAX. 

1.3K Posts

January 17th, 2012 14:00

That thread does not apply since this is VMAX.  DRVs are different on VMAX.

I found this document which talks about full volume FAST, which uses the same method to swap volumes as Optimizer.

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-010-337.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzRXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwNTBkM2ZkLGRhdGFTb3VyY2U9RENUTV9lbl9VU18w

31 Posts

January 17th, 2012 14:00

In the thread .... from what i see stefano ran a script for creating DRVs

create dev count=6, emulation=fba, config=drv, size=18608;

But this is not supported in the version of SE i have... the symconfigure command would not run.

Error occurred while Defining change number 1:

The requested feature is not supported for this microcode or SYMAPI version

Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

The configuration change session has failed.

Any input on this?

31 Posts

January 18th, 2012 07:00

Thanks Amita. Can you also suggest how many of these DRVs should be created on each of the diskgroups. -Thanks

93 Posts

January 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

5874 onwards, only 1 DRV is used per swap.

DRV can be equal or larger in size than the logical device that is swapped.

There is no restriction on the disk technology DRV device should be configured on. It could be configured on EFD, FC or SATA.

If same technology DRV is not available for the swap, optimizer will take any available DRV to perform the swap.

So I dont think it really matters on the disk Groups basis how many DRV;s should be configured.

No Events found!