Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2014 01:00

How cache works in new enginuity?

Hello Experts,

Looking at the cache architecture in an old VMAX student guide where a write comes to a front end, cache slot is allocated on another director and is destaged by a third director.

Capture.JPG.jpg

My questions are:

1) Does it still holds true that cache slot can be given on any director in the VMAX? or has it been changed (like slot will always be allocated on cache of the frontend director to which the host is connected)?

2) If above point still holds then what is the best practice to choose the frontend directors for the host connection? Should we still follow the old dmx rule of using the fronends that shares/mirrors its memory or it does not matter?

thanks in advance

regards,

Saurabh Rohilla

1.3K Posts

September 29th, 2014 07:00

The cache slot can be allocated on any director.  With writes we have to allocate the slots on two directors (mirrored memory).

There is code to try and localize slots when possible, but I would not worry about where to allocate ports based on that.

859 Posts

September 29th, 2014 17:00

Excellent.. thanks

859 Posts

September 29th, 2014 20:00

I just have a follow up question, when you say there is code that tries to localize the slot when possible. Is it something that we enable through inlines or its enabled by default in the enginuity?

regards,

Saurabh

1.3K Posts

September 29th, 2014 22:00

Default behavior, no on or off switch.

859 Posts

September 29th, 2014 22:00

thanks.

No Events found!