Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2013 01:00

How to configure FAST VP Policy

Dear All,

what is the best value to create FAST VP policy or configure. I am using VMAX 20K. Can anyone help me regarding this issue.

Regards,

98 Posts

November 6th, 2013 08:00

This is a very vague question.  A lot more information would need to be known about your environment to even consider answering this question.  The best advice would be to contact your local support team to possibly engage a Solutions Architect to help you determine how best to configure the policies.

In the meantime, you should also take a look at the FAST VP best practices guide available at

https://support.emc.com/docu31003_FAST_VP_for_Symmetrix_VMAX_Theory_and_Best_Practices_for_Planning_and_Performance.pdf?language=en_US

27 Posts

November 6th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for you valuable reply. Dear I need if anyone have calculation of FAST VP policy will share......... in any organization if simply think about I have 2 TB SSD 32 TB FC & 60 TB SATA and want to create three policy .....

like that

Policy 1 Critical

1) SSD

2)FC

Policy 2

1)SSD

2)FC

3)SATA

Policy 3

1)FC

2)SATA

what is the calculation of FAST VP policy for that tier ring. I am very thankful anyone can share valuable calculation. 

2 Intern

• 

1.2K Posts

November 11th, 2013 19:00

The usage limit for each tier must be between 1 percent and 100 percent. When combined, the upper-usage limit for all thin storage tiers in the policy must total at least 100 percent, but may be greater than 100 percent.

Creating a policy with a total upper-usage limit greater than 100 percent allows flexibility with the configuration of a storage group, whereby data may be moved between tiers without necessarily having to move a corresponding amount of other data within the same storage group. The default FAST VP policy would be to specify 100 percent for each of the included tiers. Such a policy can provide the greatest amount of flexibility to an associated storage group, as it allows 100 percent of the

storage group’s capacity to be promoted or demoted to any tier within the policy, as appropriate.

Operationally, it may not be appropriate to deploy the 100/100/100 policy. There may be reasons to limit access to a particular tier within the array.

The best way to determine appropriate policies for a FAST VP implementation is to examine the workload skew for the application data to be managed by FAST VP. The workload skew defines an asymmetry in data usage over time. This means a small percentage of the data on the array may be servicing the majority of the workload on the array. One tool that provides insight into this workload skew is Tier Advisor.

1 Message

October 8th, 2014 06:00

I have one question:

But if I want to make sure that the thin lun won´t go out of the specific pool ?

I don´t want to meke fastvp in a specific pool .  What do i have do configure ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 8th, 2014 07:00

you want to "lock" specific device from moving to any tiers ? You either don't add to a fast policy or pin it to specific tier.

October 8th, 2014 08:00

Once you specified the tier utilization it won't go out of that specified tiers....let's assume you are creating policy called Platinum and specifying that policy will use 100% of EFD and 100% of SATA...and your storage/devices have been allocated from Pool1(FED Disks)...as soon as you applied policy on storage group, It will automatically promote and demote data according to the policy which has been applied...

Are you using SSD drive in VmAX?

No Events found!