Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2016 07:00

Logical decommission of DMX and VMAX Arrays

Hello Experts,

I am new to  doing logical decommission of  arrays.  Can some please explain me step by step or  provide me  documents how to decommission  DMX and VMAX arrays logically ?

Any help appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 19th, 2016 14:00

array going back to EMC or scrap ?

March 19th, 2016 14:00

Dynamox- As far as I know these are getting  scrapped. Is there any procedural  difference ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 20th, 2016 06:00

we typically purchase EMC certified erasure if it's going back to EMC, otherwise we use third party company to shred the drives and provide us with a certificate of destruction for each drive serial number.

Before we retire a Symm, I make sure there are no existing SRDF pairs (symrdf -sid 123 list). It's so much easier to clean it up while decommed array is still online. Delete SRDF groups between decommed array and any other array it's paired with.

I also like to run symstat (symstat -sid 123 -i 10) on the entire array for 24 hours to make sure i am not seeing any I/O. At that point i am done with the array so i clean up any remaining zones and flip the breakers on the door of the cabinet(s).

March 21st, 2016 05:00

Dynamox -Thank you for your  feedback but  are any documents available that I can follow  mentioning steps by steps procedure ? Since I am new to this I just want to make  sure I do it right .

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 21st, 2016 08:00

you can download Solutions Enabler manual and lookup the two commands i referenced.  I don't think there is a published guide on how to decommission arrays, certain things are specific to your environment only but general process is the same as i provided earlier.

March 21st, 2016 10:00

I will surely refer to the Solution Enabler manual. Also one last question  I have- how do I check  if any host are logging to DMX arrays ? and also how to check to  the which switch port DMX/VMAX is connected to ?  I guess we need to disable the switch port the array is connected too.

108 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 03:00

1.I have- how do I check  if any host are logging to DMX arrays ? symaccess -sid xxx list logins symaccess -sid xxx list logins -v 2.and also how to check to  the which switch port DMX/VMAX is connected to ? a)symaccess -sid xxxx list assignment -v -dev xxxx Symmetrix ID : 00019260xxxx Device No. : xxxx WWN : 10000000c955ddde Type : Fibre Directors : FA-7F:1,FA-9F:1 WWN : 210000e08b8ac6ea Type : Fibre Directors : FA-7F:1,FA-9F:1 b)symaccess -sid xxxx list -type port -detail symaccess -sid xxxx list -type initiator -detail

March 22nd, 2016 11:00

Thank you both. I will give a try with  suggestions you guys  provided.

No Events found!