This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 26th, 2017 14:00

Query on FAST VP

Hey Guys,

I have a question related to FAST VP. Although the question looks to be a witless I really wanted to know the answer and hope someone can help me.

Lets say for example, I have two tiers defined in my VMAX , SATA (Raid6- 6+2) and EFD (Raid 5 4+1 ). I have bound the TDEV to SATA pool and applied FAST policy to it. Based on the performance factor, couple of my data chunks/extents moved from SATA to EFD tier.

1. What would be the protection for those data chunks which reside in EFD ? Would it be a Raid 6 or a Raid5 ?

2. If it is going to be a Raid5, isn't it a compromise in data protection method that I was looking for ?

Any help in understanding it will be highly appreciated.!

Thanks..

Prasanna Hegde

121 Posts

March 26th, 2017 17:00

1. The extents on EFD would be RAID5 and the extents on SATA would RAID6.

2. No, I wouldn't call it a compromise. EFDs are considerably more reliable than spinning disks and also rebuild from failure much faster. The chances of a double disk failure on EFD is orders of magnitude less than spinning disks.

25 Posts

March 27th, 2017 02:00

I think Prasanna is referring to the compromise in data protection between the Raid-5 & Raid-6 disk groups where the extents in Raid-5 can tolerate 1 failure while the extents on Raid-6 can tolerate 2 failures. Answer I think is a trade off between performance and data protection and as an administrator you set it accordingly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 27th, 2017 07:00

Thanks Darren, That is something I was thought but wanted clarification. Cheers!!

No Events found!