Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2017 17:00

Removal of FA ports from port group: online

Hello All Experts,

I have a query, on which I need your help to understand and assess the risk involved in it.

We are currently using VMAX 40K, the issue we are facing is with maxing out of the path count on the ESXi host, with the limit of 1024 Luns per host. We have couple of ESXi cluster, but the one which is the trouble maker is the Oracle-linux cluster. That cluster includes total of 9 host, they way previous engineers where handling have created multiple masking views utilizing different FA ports, due to which a single LUN is now getting visible with 8 or 16 front end paths due to which we are unable to allocate more storage to the cluster.

One of the solution advised, was to reclaim the lun, but the more reclaim we do the path count keeps on increasing, because those devices started utilizing other FA path which is now made available to them. So we are not proceeding ahead with this approach of reclaiming the LUN.

After close examining, we found that common devices are part of same SG and are made visible from diff masking views, those masking are using almost same FA ports with 2-4 diff FA ports. Few of the masking views have 1-2 diff host, though in total they make up one big cluster.

So what I wanted to understand from you is to, find the feasibility of  the approach of removal of FA ports from those different masking views which are common across those views/SG's. More importantly, can this be achieved online, or do we need to plan some downtime to remove the FA ports.

I would like to thank you all for your time and efforts in going through with the query, and sharing your point of view.

Ivan Skinner

121 Posts

April 10th, 2017 07:00

Yes, you can remove ports online provided the following are true:

• The devices will still be available to the host through other paths
  • The host has multipathing properly configured.

If you are running into issues with too many paths on your host, consider limiting the number of paths with specific zoning.

32 Posts

April 26th, 2017 16:00

Hello KW160,

Thanks for the information, as we have more than 8-16 paths removing couple of them while powerpath stays on should not be a reason for any outage, thats what I strongly believe.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 15:00

if PowerPath is licensed and properly managing the paths, it should be an online process. Do you make sure before you pull the paths that those devices have available remaining paths.

No Events found!