Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2014 18:00

Unable to disable savedev from default pool

Hi Guys,

I am trying to create a DSE pool in VMAXe 10K. I have created a pool of type rdfa_dse. I have around 30 savedev's that are in default_pool, I want to move them to the DSE pool.

The procedure im following is to first disable the device from default pool then add them to dse pool.

symcli is not allowing me to disable the devices in default pool, below is the error, Any suggestions are welcome

C:\>symconfigure -sid 73 -cmd "disable dev 010B in pool DEFAULT_POOL type=SAVEDEV;" preview

Execute a symconfigure operation for symmetrix 'XXXXXXXXXX' (y/ ) ? y

A Configuration Change operation is in progress. Please wait...

Establishing a configuration change session...............Established.

Error occurred while Defining change number 1:
    The requested feature is not supported for this Enginuity or SYMAPI version
    Device 010B generated the failure

Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

The configuration change session has failed.

1.3K Posts

January 15th, 2014 07:00

Ok, the SAV devices are well laid out, but I would rather see one on every disk.  They are on 60 out of 116 active disks.

Not sure why you are thinking of enabling DSE.  Again I would get your local account team involved in this.  There are cases where enabling DSE won't help.  RDF/A will still drop and the time to recover will be longer.  There are also cases where it will work great, and keep RDF/A from dropping.  Someone will need to look at your use case and workload to see which bucket you fall into.

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

January 15th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

What code level are you running?  Can you check if the devices are already disabled? I tried this on my test array running 5876.251.161 and got the same message when trying to disable SAVE devs in the default pool that were already disabled.  Also got same message when trying to enable them in the default pool, so if enabling them is blocked, yours may not be enabled either.

I was able to move them to a DSE pool, either in enabled or disabled state, and then change state to enabled/disabled from inside the DSE pool.

Mike

1.3K Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

If you want to send me a private message with the serial # of your system, I could take a look at the layout of your SAV devices and see if they look like good candidates for DSE.

DSE is good for some use cases where there is a short burst of workload or times where the links go down for short periods of time.  It won't help for workloads that go above the limits of your system for long periods of time, or long link outages.

49 Posts

Hi Mike,

Im at 5876.251.161

1. Savedev's are already disabled but when I try to add them to the DSE pool it says that the devices must be disabled first.

2. If I try to enable the devices in default pool, it will not allow me to enable them.

How did you add the devices to the DSE pool, Not working for me...

1.3K Posts

First, I thought SAV devices were not supported in a 10K.

Second, a DSE pool must be properly laid out on the backend to function properly.  Just making some DSE devices and enabling DSE may make RDF/A worse, not better.

Please contact your local EMC SPEED guru for assistance in configuring a DSE pool.

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

What command were you using and what was the error message?  Here is what I used:

symconfigure -sid -nop -cmd "add dev 34f to pool DSE_POOL type=RDFA_DSE member_state=disable;" commit

I was only testing out the commands themselves and not considering any performance implications.  Quincy is The Man for that stuff, I always listen to his advice

49 Posts

HI Quincy,

I haven't created these SAVEDEV's. These were created by EMC when we bought the VMAX and were never used. Now Im trying to use them. Im not sure if SAVEDEV's are supported in VMAX 10K but if i can see them then they should be supported.

1.3K Posts

Again, please DO NOT try this yourself.  Seek help.  Trust me, you do not want a improperly configured DSE pool!

49 Posts

I did find a workaround though but it goes against what Quincy just said to which I agree.

If I create new SAVEDEV with attribute "SAVEDEV in pool DSE_R1_01" then it works, but then Im even unable to delete the existing SAVEDEV's created by EMC and secondly the performance part of creating SAVEDEV manually by myself.

49 Posts

Sure I will discuss your recommendation with my team, I agree with your point.

Currently we are just testing to see if we get any benefits from DSE, Can you find any reason why im unable to add them to the DSE pool.

49 Posts

I tried this command mike but it gives the same error.

feature is not supported in the current symapi version

Is there a limitation for VMAXe?

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

There are slight differences between VMAX 10K and VMAXe.  Not sure if this is one of them.  Mine is a 10K.  Let me do some digging and get back to you.

1.3K Posts

You should be able to click on my "handle" and send me a private message.  I can't seem to send you a private message here as it seems you have blocked that feature

226 Posts

You have to both be "following" each other on ECN in order to send private messages FYI... to follow someone, click on their name/icon to go to their profile; from there, click the follow button on the top right of the page.

49 Posts

ok sent the serial number from my personal yahoo mail ID. you should see only around 30 SAVEDEVS all are unused.

No Events found!