Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

June 9th, 2012 18:00

using VLUN migrator

Trying to use VLUN migrator or symmigrate to migrate our thick luns to newly created thin luns.

Our VMAX is running 5875 code and using using symcli ver 7.3

How do you obtain the license. Does it have to be installed on VMAX or???

Thanks!

859 Posts

June 10th, 2012 23:00

HI,

VLUN migrate does NOT migrate LUNs from thick to thin or thin to thick. VLUN license is bundled with SYMM_Model_OPTIMIZER and it should be installed on VMAX as ELM.

regards,

Saurabh

134 Posts

June 11th, 2012 07:00

Oh cool. So what is the recomended method I should use to convert thick luns to thin?

I know we can use clone but that will require downtime. Is there something like FLM that can move data across symm's for within the symm?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 11th, 2012 08:00

use PPME with clones (no downtime)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 11th, 2012 11:00

you have to have timefinder clone license.

134 Posts

Is the license free as is PPME -- hostcopy?

134 Posts

Oh so it is not a part of PPME, That is good.

134 Posts

Hey,

I tried it just now and it says "PPME error(15): Required license is missing or expired"

I am able to run symclone and clone devices on the symm directly and also able to run PPME hostcopy on the host

still PPME in conjunction with symclone does not work.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 11th, 2012 12:00

need another PPME license (it's still free, just need to request it)

PPME-SymClone

134 Posts

June 20th, 2012 06:00

I tried PPME host copy and it works. I also went ahead and wrote a script that can run all the commands for me.

The problem is that there are a lot of limitations of using PPME. like for example we can not migrate spanned volumes using it for windows.

I am looking to see if we can migrate VG/LV spanned across multiple volumes in an AIX environment.

Also are oracle ASM devices supported?

There is a real easy way to migrate thick to thin in Clariion/VNX world in unisphere but I am not sure why there is none for SYMM.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 20th, 2012 07:00

iflaas wrote:

I am looking to see if we can migrate VG/LV spanned across multiple volumes in an AIX environment.

Also are oracle ASM devices supported?

for AIX use native LVM to mirror to new devices. Same for ASM, you native ASM tool to add the new disks to the pool, rebalance and then remove the old devices.

134 Posts

June 20th, 2012 11:00

Feel like there has to be a way for us to be able to move from thick luns to thin ones with in the symm and not have to use host based tools..

22 Posts

June 19th, 2014 03:00

Completely agree, did you get any resolution to the general task of migrating devices/metas within a box, and ideally non-disruptively to the host? I'm very interested in this iflaas. Would it be possible to see your script for the part that you were able to automate? Cheers.

No Events found!