Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2013 17:00

ESXi server with iSCSI /FCoE connection

hi there ..

I have my customer asking if ONE ESXi server can have  iSCSI and FCoE  connection  to storage ....

What they want to do is below config .... Is there anybody knows this kind of config ? or supported ?

ServerA ----iSCSI --> VNXA

ServerA ----FCoE --> VNXB

ServerB ----iSCSI --> VNXB

ServerA ----FCoE --> VNXA

I know the VNX side can have both protocol connection from different hosts ...( not sure about SAME LUN thugh....)

Please advise if one ESXi server can have iscsi and fcoe connection to different storage ....

thanks !

30 Posts

May 30th, 2013 07:00

Mounting multiple datastores from the same ESXi host via multiple storage protocols (e.g., Datastore1 connected via iSCSI, Datastore2 using FC, Datastore3 over FCoE, and Datastore4 via NFS) is supported by VMware. Simultaneous connections to a single VNX storage array via multiple storage protocols are supported by EMC.

That said - although you don't say this explicitly - if I'm reading the question correctly, your customer wants to access the same LUN from different ESXi hosts via different storage protocols (Host A to Datastore1 via iSCSI, and HostB to Datastore1 via FCoE). From EMC's VNX-VMware techbook (available on Powerlink, document no. h8229, page 32):

"VNX and ESXi support one SCSI transport type at a time. An ESXi host can access a LUN using an FCoE, FC, or iSCSI interface. However, accessing the same device [e.g. a single LUN] using different SCSI transport protocols is unsupported."

Hope this answers your question?

• 

6.5K Posts

May 30th, 2013 18:00

hi

thanks for the reply .... my customer actually does not mention if they use same LUN or not ..

But bottom line is ,,,,,, `` One ESXi server can have iSCSI / FCoE /FC connection `` Accessing Same LUN

with different protocol is not supported `` if that is what you saying, that is all I need to tell my customer .

thakns !

Aya

No Events found!