Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2011 11:00

Licensing PowerPath/VE

So I am trying to license PowerPath/VE for my ESX hosts using a license server.  I have a mix of both 4.1 and 5.0 ESX hosts.  The license server is running on my vCenter Server.  I successfully got the license server installed, and when I register the license for my 5.0 hosts, it decrements the license count.  My 4.1 hosts activate PP in licensed mode, but do not decrement the license count.

rpowermt register host=fully.qualified.domain.name  <--- of ESX host

Is the command I am using for this.  Like I said, the 5.0 hosts are decrementing licenses from the license server.  The 4.1 hosts are not consuming licenses, but they are getting licensed, as confirmed by:

rpowermt check_registration host=fully.qualified.domain.name  <--- of ESX host

When installing PP on the 4.1 hosts, I use the following command from our VMA:

vihostupdate --server fully.qualified.domain.name --install --bundle=EMCPower.VMWARE.5.4.SP2.b298.zip

When install PP on the 5.0 hosts, I use VUM and the version is 5.7.

What am I doing wrong?  What do I need to do to get the 4.1 hosts to start using the license server?

199 Posts

December 28th, 2011 17:00

Well,  your 4.1 hosts activated PP in licensed mode, but licence count doesn't decrement. It sounds like a good thing as you can have more hosts be licenseed. Unless You notice anything wrong with PP on your 4.1 hosts?

December 28th, 2011 21:00

When licensing PowerPath/VE you have two options: "served" and "unserved".  Both methods are discussed in detail in the "EMC PowerPath/VE Installation and Administration Guide".  You will likely find that your 4.1 hosts were licensed via the unserved method.

To properly transition from an unserved to a served licensing model for your 4.1 hosts, I don't have experience with that scenario specifically.  I would recommend posting also to the PowerPath/VE community:

https://community.emc.com/community/openexchange/powerpath-ve

No Events found!