Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 2nd, 2017 03:00

10GbE Optical for FILE on VNX5600

Hi,

We have a VNX5600 and the customer is looking to migrate the data to another system that they host.

They wish to install 2 I/O cards in DM0, as we only offer CIFS (NO BLOCK).

After reading the VNX5600 PartsLocation Guide, it states,

Data Mover

Four types of I/O modules are supported in the Data Mover:

◆ “Four-port 8-Gb/s Fibre Channel (FC) I/O module” on this page

◆ “Four-port 1-Gb/s copper iSCSI I/O module” on page 28

◆ “Two-port 10-Gb/s RJ-45 Base-T iSCSI/IP I/O module” on page 31

◆ “Four-port 1-Gb/s Base-T copper I/O module” on page 33

We need optical SFP+.

Our customer has identified this part which is an EMC 10GbE Optical SFP+ expansion card for the data mover. (VDMBMXG2OPA)

I am trying to work out if you can get a 2 port Optical SFP+ 10GbE card for file on the VNX5600 (like the one above), as the Parts Location guide seems to suggest it's only for SP, not DM - or if this is discontinued and the only 10GbE is on copper now?

We are connecting it to a Juniper QFX5100 which is optical.

I know we can use optical fibre for SP, but we will be presenting file, so any help would be appreciated in identifying if this is possible, or if we need to use copper for a 10GbE FILE connection.

Cheers

Iain

2 Intern

• 

141 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 08:00

Hello Iain,

I have seen those parts in a DM, too. One of our customers ordered a VNX5400 with these Modules for file access, and they are connected with optical cables. Even the part numbers says its for DM (VDM......) The parts location guide is a bit confusing for me in this case. There is also an option with TwinAx (VDMBMXG2TWA). There is another part number in a different format (but it's the same part, I think)  303-195-100C-01. I've added these to the data movers of at least 3 VNX Unified Systems. Adding them involves downtime for File services.

Do you need these extra ports for migration only?

Regards,

Stephen

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 08:00

Hi Stephen,

I have spoken to another one of my colleagues who found a different document (Introduction to the EMC VNX2 Series), and in that it states that I/O Modules for the Data Mover contains an Ultraflex I/O module "Figure 51. Dual-port 10 GbE optical I/O module"

After zooming in on the photo, it has the part code as you say above, 303-195-100.

I'm assuming (risky I know) that having one document say it is possible, and the other document not say it is explicitly impossible, combined with your results above, that the expansion module VDMXMXG2OPA is in fact the same as the EMC part number 303-195-100.

We have server_2 and server_3 on our 5600, so will downtime still be required? I know you can insert and reboot a slot on the standby while file is still presented on the primary server?

Cheers for the help! I'm going to try Solve Desktop for the upgrade/insert document.

Iain

2 Intern

• 

141 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 04:00

Hi Iain,

Solve Desktop will give you the step-by-step details (23-page document). And you will need downtime. The quick version of the procedure is:

• Delete failover relationship between server_2 and server_3
  • Stop NAS Services
  • Manually mount some partitions
  • Add I/O module to server_3, reboot it and configure it
  • Add I/O module to server_2, reboot it and configure it
  • Restart NAS services
  • Re-create failover relationship

But use Solve Desktop for the full procedure. What is not mentioned there: if you are monitoring this VNX using some tools (e.g. VNX Monitoring and Reporting) you should stop that application before beginning. Otherwise the NAS services will not cleanly shut down and you need to reboot the CS, wait for the services to restart and try again. That wastes about 15-20 minutes.

Regards,

Stephen

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 04:00

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the information on the cards and the procedure!

I've advised we buy 2 of the 303-195-100C-01 cards, as well as some SPF+ and OMS3 cables.

I'll use Solve to get that procedure, whether it's me or someone else installing the cards.

This system hasn't had any automated monitoring....until next week when some FW rules will allow ESRS, but i'd imagine that doesn't have to have anything done with it as it's a separate system.

Cheers again for the info and quick responses!

Iain

8.6K Posts

August 4th, 2017 07:00

Hi Ian,

when your order an update from EMC or an authorized partner than they should check that the part is the correct one and that the upgrade results in a supported configuration.

They will figure out the correct part number

I can confirm that a 2-port optical 10GBit card is supported on the data mover - but a 100% check isnt possible on a forum.

Rainer

No Events found!