Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2015 07:00

Calculate CIFS Performance

Hello,

How can I calculate current CIFS performance hosted on RAID 6? I need to know throughput and latency.

Using 6 + 2 disks.

Each disk is 2 TB

Thanks

4.5K Posts

June 1st, 2015 14:00

EMC has a Rule of Thumb for calculating performance:

15K SAS disk - for small block (less than 32KB) random IO (mix of reads and writes) = 180 IOPS.

So if you take five 15K SAS disks and create a Raid 5 raid group (4+1) - that mean that each disk can handle about 180 IOPS times the 5 disks = 900 IOPS for the raid group. This will provide good performance - less than 20ms for a LUN in that raid group.

This is a rough guideline - response time will increase as the IOPS increase.

If you increase the IO Size, then the IOPS will decrease (inverse relation).

In the "EMC CLARiiON Performance and Availability Release 30 Firmware Update Applied Best Practices.pdf" see page 96 - Random I/O section - this lists the drive type and IOPS.

glen

119 Posts

May 12th, 2015 02:00

Anyone please suggest.

Thanks,

Mihir

4.5K Posts

May 12th, 2015 14:00

Not sure I can help you with CIFS performance questions, but take a look at this thread - it has information about determining performance on the Block array using different Raid Types - I attached a couple of White Papers that can help.

IOPs calculation

glen

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 04:00

I am sorry, but still could not find the answer.

Basically my question is pointing 2 things;

1) Calculate IOPS/Bandwidth for the application that will be hosted on disks. This will be done on various factors, which I found in the guide "EMC CLARiiON Best Practices for Performance..."

But I want answer for below question

2) How to find how much IOPs or Bandwidth (MB/s) current disks or Raid Group is capable of to handle.

In the above guide only there is a table specifying MB/s according to drive type and File size. But that is for single drive.

How to calculate for whole Storage Pool or Raid Group.

Is it like below;

FC 15k rpm for 512 kb file = 32 MB/s

So for RAID 6, it will be 32 MB/s * 8 = 256 MB/s

RAID 6 with 6+2 disks is capable of handling 256 MB/s throughput??

So by this I will be able to find out whether I can host that application in current group or not.

Thanks

8.6K Posts

June 1st, 2015 05:00

There is no simple way to calculate that for NFS/CIFS

Besides IOPS / bandwidth depend on block size, read-write ratio

I would suggest to get in touch with your EMC or partner pre-sales TC who can help you

I you are an EMC partner I would suggest to inquire becoming a member of the the partner USpeed program or to locate on in your company

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 06:00

Can anyone please suggest me. I am not after CIFS, but a normal Storage RAID group.

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 06:00

I am not including CIFS only, just a general thing for any RAID groups.

8.6K Posts

June 1st, 2015 07:00

Sure you can just the take usual number of IOPS per disk from the best practices paper and multiply them – but its not going to be matching to a real system performance.

A real system is more complex – you usually use sizing tools and performance papers that are based on actual measurements

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 07:00

So is this ok;

FC 15k rpm for 512 kb file = 32 MB/s

So for RAID 6, it will be 32 MB/s * 8 = 256 MB/s

RAID 6 with 6+2 disks is capable of handling 256 MB/s throughput??

8.6K Posts

June 1st, 2015 08:00

Please start with understanding RAID and performance fundamentals first

A couple of pointers:

- RAID write penalty

- write throughput for RAID is different than read

- parity disks don’t help in throughput

- throughput depends on block size

If all you want is some numbers not very meaningful to real life storage systems behavior I suggest to use one the many raid performance calculators on the Internet

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 09:00

I know that, but I could not find how the Throughput (MB/s) is calculated for already existing Disks Group. I have the performance guide, which explains how to calculate IOPs, Disk count etc for new design, but not for already existing RAID groups.

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 10:00

Anyone, please help.

119 Posts

June 1st, 2015 23:00

Thanks for the reply Glen. I read Page 96 which has IOPS per disk table. But that is for new setup or design.

Can I consider the same calculation that you have mentioned above taking into consideration Table 36 on page 97, as I am looking for MB/s since the application which we are going to host will be having 512 KB file size.

So again just refreshing my question.

Below are the application statistics provided by vendor.

Host IOPS: 1000

File Size: 512 KB

Read / Write: 70 - 30 %

Required Throughput: 60 - 80 MB/s

Required Latency: Equal to or less than 2 ms

Required Storage: 2 TB

Basically I want to know what "my current pool is capable of" so that I can take decision whether our new application can be hosted on existing pool or not.

Performance guide shows how to for "new setup" required.

But I am looking for below for my "existing pool"

--> Calculate IOPs current pool can handle

--> Calculate Throughput (MB/s) current pool can handle

-> Calculate Latency (ms) current pool can handle

Thanks

4.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 07:00

The methods for calculating your current configuration is the same as the one used for a new configuration, you just work backwards - since you know how many drives you have in each Pool and what type of drives in each tier within the Pool, you can use some of the charts in the attached starting on page 113 (see chart on 122). This is a good exercise.

glen

1 Attachment

No Events found!