Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 23rd, 2015 08:00

Connecting to the Internet VNXe3200

Hello,

I have a VNXe3200 Storage Processor unit. I'm attempting to connect to the internet to download a software update but I have been unable to do so. In fact, I have also been unable to even manually deploy a software or firmware update as it tells me that it was unable to do so.

My setup is as follows at the moment for simplicity sakes:

-2 Power cables attached to each side

-2 Ethernet cables in the left slot of each management port

-2 Ethernet cables in the #2 slot of the ethernet ports

IMG_20150923_105256.jpg

To my understanding, this would be the bare minimum I'd need to connect to the network for an update. However, when attempting to update it says it that it was unable to contact EMC Online Support and to make sure I have port 80/443 open. The firewall we use allows those ports inbound/out by default.

I am able to connect through the management ports on the network, but I don't see an option to give the ethernet ports an IP address. How do they handle this? All of the videos/documentation I've read don't ever mention it, they just continue the initial setup wizard with having a connection, while I had to stop early (eventually went back and did everything I could without a connection). I assume it should be auto configured, but alas, no connection.

Below shows the status of my ethernet port 2, and where I thought I'd be able to set an IP address for them or something similar.

ethernet.jpg

Any ideas on why I'm unable to connect for an update or anything else internet related?

September 24th, 2015 09:00

What do you have configured in your Management  Settings for ip 4 Address, specifically your default gateway?  I think this is where you would go to set up your internet connection.

September 25th, 2015 06:00

Well, clarified some silly mistakes.

I found out that the internet connectivity passes through the Management port. I was under the impression that that was simply for accessing the browser console.

My IP address is static and all of the information is correct for the management port. This was confirmed by us giving it a public IP address and we were able to remote into it from outside the network. However, we are still unable to download a software update through the browser console.

Is it possible that anything besides having ports 80/443 open for the management IP address is needed to get it to connect to the EMC Online Support?

September 26th, 2015 01:00

I have seen few customer are facing this issue, seems like it is issue with support site. If you are trying to upgrade, download the code directly from support.emc.com download page and then upload manually to Unisphere, upgrade the code this should work.

3 Posts

September 27th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

I'm facing the exact same issue.

The thing is that I can telnet to support.emc.com on port 80 from the ssh console.

But when I click the "obtain software" button - I immediately get the error th OP was talking about.

It seems like it doesn't even try to access it, and I didn't see the tries in the firewall.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Leon

September 29th, 2015 08:00

I was able to upgrade the software manually actually. (Initially my 1.3GB download was corrupt I suppose, but I downloaded again and it worked).

It is at the latest version. However, the issue still remains when attempting to do any task that needs to contact EMC through the server, not just software updates. The issue remains.

Reading up on other issues, we're beginning to think that the fact that we bought it through PCConnection might be giving up problems. I read in a forum post that if not bought directly from EMC the account might not be registered to the buyer, but instead PCConnection, and when I attempt to connect to their support services it's not authenticating properly.

Another lead I just found is when I go to EMC's site, log in with my account, and go to my preferences. Upon entering my preferences page, the following error message pops up.

404_emc.jpg

I also noticed that the 2nd tab from the left, My Products is grayed out. I read one forum problem with a similar issue that stated I need to go to this tab to make sure my product is registered correctly here, but I can not access it, even by changing the end of the url to /myproducts.

No Events found!