Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2013 02:00

DFS (Namespace) setup with VNX

Dear all,

Got an serious problem with a client about VNX Unified.  The customer want to maintain the share folder structure and quota information with the VNX Unified.  However, the quota information was deep to 3 levels and VNX file share cannot handle this.

We are thinking about using DFS on top of VNX to fulfill this requirement on quota and the share folder structure.

Is there any drawback if we use DFS (namespace) on top of VNX file share? 

BTW, is there any pre-caution required when using DFS with VNX?

Thanks a lot,

Rayson Wong

8.6K Posts

February 15th, 2013 03:00

Shouldnt be a problem. You could actually also use a local DFS root on the VNX

When you talk about 3 levels deep – do you mean tree/directory quotas or a combination with user quotas ?

I assume you mean multiple file systems and stitching them together so that they look like a single share with multiple subdirectories.

Alternatively you can use 3rd party quota tools like from NTP or Northern Storage – they are able to implement quota’s on any level

Rainer

11 Posts

February 16th, 2013 20:00

BTW, if anyone has experience about what pre-caution we need to take before applying DFS over VNX Unified?  I have read the Managing a MultiProtocol Environment on VNX, and it seems very straight forward. 

Rayson

11 Posts

February 16th, 2013 20:00

Hi Rainer,

The customer already has Active Directory and they will continue to use it, so I am thinking about DFS NameSpace instad of local DFS root.

As for the 3 level deep, the user currently using Windows file sharing and they have quota setting up to 3 level deep (I am not exactly sure, but the quotas shall be group and user quota).

Our setup so far can only setup tree quota at top level, and the users and group quota.  A local EMC expert informed us a method to set user / group quota to level 2 of the folder structure and my colleague will test it at weekend.  I consider DFS because it allows us to set quotas / permission at deeper level while maintaining folder structure (least impact to user experience).

As this project is already late, we want to get some concrete solution so that not to disappoint the customer again.

As for third party solution, it is unlikely as the customer has tight budget. 

Is there a best practice guide for using the VNX Unified for file sharing with Active Directory?  It will be helpful as VNS Unified is a new platform for us and local distributor is not able to offer much help.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Rayson

8.6K Posts

February 17th, 2013 13:00

I think you need to better understand how exactly the customers quota setup works to see what method helps to implement it on the VNX

Yes you can have different user quota’s per treequota – so I guess you could call that at a second level

If you cant make it work with the conventional built-in model your other option is to use external quota applications.

The can go beyond the native file system quotas because (like an AV server) they get events on user’s file usage and then allow/deny.

With that you can built quota configurations that are not possible with native quotas

Or talk to the customer about simplifying their quota setup

No Events found!