Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2014 00:00

FAST VP Configuration

VNX7600 Array, Wants to configure FAST Cache with a capacity of 2000 GB. Snapshots taken each day of 10 x 1 TB LUNs and will be used for backup to tape. Once the backups complete the snapshots will be deleted. 20% change rate daily on the source luns.

The array has

31 x 200GB Flash

34 x 600GB 15K SAS

17 x 2TB 7.2K NL-SAS

How should the three tiers for the FAST VP pool be configured with EMC BP? I would like to understand the how we should lay out all these drives with the requirements. Thanks.

January 20th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Please refer KB emc73184.

Thanks

Jyothi

2 Intern

• 

715 Posts

January 24th, 2015 01:00

I'm going to assume that the flash drives are all the SLC type that are usable for both FAST Cache and FAST VP, but you should verify this too. (the drives only suitable for Fast VP are the FX eMLC).

I'm also assuming that you will be using 4 of the SAS drives for Vault, so they will be excluded from the Pool ?

The simplest and most straight forward configuration;

20 x 200GB FAST Cache (RAID1)

Pool0

Extreme Perf tier;

10 x Flash (2x 4+1) RAID 5  plus 1 for sparing

Performance Tier;

27 x SAS (3x 8+1) RAID 5 plus 3 for sparing

(to use 30 in a RAID 5 (4+1) config leaves no spares.

Capacity Tier;

16 x 2TB (14+2) RAID 6 plus 1 for sparing

Bear in mind this is a 'blind' config, made without knowing  a great deal about your intended workloads, but would provide a good, balanced setup. You'll also need to consider the layout of the drives across your DPE/DAE's.

4.5K Posts

January 28th, 2015 08:00

I would also strongly recommend that you review the current White Paper for FAST VP and FAST Cache for VNX with MCx. Configuring pools correctly will the most important aspect of the array - get it right and it will run well.

You need to take into account a lot of factors - IO workload, IO Size, Type (Reads vs. Writes), Sequential vs Random, Throughput, Bandwidth, Application type, etc.

On support.emc.com, go to the support by product and select the VNX2 and get the Best Practices guide for VNX with Mcx

https://support.emc.com/products/36656_VNX2-Series/WhitePapers/

VNX Unified Best Practices for Performance Applied Best Practices Guide

glen

No Events found!