Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2016 23:00

High Availability

Hello everyone

It's my firs question here after a really annoying search on internet to find a suitable solution. I've read a lot a PDFs from EMC and HP and still no clear solution is find .

Q: We are going to implement a virtualized environment to have about 20 VMs with a appropriate level of HA . So we will buy 2 HP servers to install Vmware ESXi on them to enable our host cluster to HA feature using VSphere HA , Vmotion , ..... . So there is no worry about host failure.  We also need some separated LUNs to store other physical servers data .

As everyone knows, we need shared storage to implement this features. Now, major part of question comes up . If we have only one SAN Storage box, we have single point of failure . So we need to add one more SAN storage system .

Solutions :

1. We can have only one SAN Box . We create some LUNs on it and present them to host cluster. Then Storage Processors (SPs) work as backup to each other . If SP A fails, SP B will handle jobs( I'm not sure is there any need to configure this procedure or it's enabled by default).

2. We can have 2 SAN Box. But how we can design and implement solution? I mean , How we can have 2 SANs working together as redundant ? All LUNs on SAN A must be fully synced with LUNs on SAN B. Then, How we can configure ESXi Hosts to know if SAN A goes down , SAN B is ready to handle data ( We can do it manually if it's not possible in automatic mode ).

-----------

What's your solution? VNXe ? VNX? Recoverpoint ? Mirrorview/S ? Any other solution ? Please tell me about required licenses in your solution.

I guess it can be a really integrate topic and solve a lot of question for users

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 26th, 2016 06:00

chances of entire array going offline are very slim, it has to be something catastrophic like multiple drive failures, critical bug. For a solution that consists of 20 VMs i am not sure how much money you want to throw at it.  For a small environment like that i would look at VM based replication solutions like Zerto, EMC Recoverpoint for VM etc. If money were unlimited than you could look at  EMC VPLEX.

2.1K Posts

June 27th, 2016 06:00

dynamo hit the nail on the head. For the size of environment you are talking about it is difficult to justify more than one array. We have a hard time justifying it in a much larger environment. if the applications are so critical that the business is willing to throw a lot of money at t a solution you might want to consider a smaller VMAX100k as an intermediate option between VNX and multiple arrays. And if they are willing to throw even more at it to make sure things NEVER go down then you would want a pair of VMAX arrays with a redundant VPLEX config in front of it.

Unless the application is beyond critical to the business that would likely be overkill. Personally I would first aim for something like the VMAX100K with 2 engines. That gives you many points of redundancy without going completely overboard. Of course you haven't mentioned anything about the performance or capacity requirements of the target solution either, and that may narrow things down significantly.

BTW - I'm not really bringing up Unity because I have no personal experience with that platform yet. if your capacity needs are smaller Unity might meet the needs as well as providing decent availability. I just can't vouch for it personally as I've never been hands on with it.

7 Posts

June 28th, 2016 22:00

Hello Allen Ward

Thanks for replying

What do you think of 2 VNXe3200 and Native Replication ? We can perform Local and Remote Replication using that .

Are you familiar with this feature ? Is there any limitation or disadvantage ? 

7 Posts

June 28th, 2016 22:00

Hello dynamox

Thanks for replying

I guess it'll cost a lot if we chose VPLEX . What do you think of 2 VNXe 3200 and native replication ( Asynchronous ) ?

Is it a good idea ? We can perform local and remote replication using native replication feature embedded in VNXe3200 .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 29th, 2016 13:00

oh yeah, VPLEX is not cheap and waaaaay overkill for what you are trying to do.

for a small environment like yours VNXe might be an attractive option (if budget allows and sized properly).  You must have read the paper but here is just in case.  Is async replication sufficient, that is for you and your business to determine how much data they willing to lose in case of a disaster (read about RPO).

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-paper/h13685-vnxe-replication-wp.pdf

7 Posts

June 29th, 2016 20:00

Thank you dynamox

I've already read some pages of this White Paper . I'm going to finish it as soon as possible .

7 Posts

June 29th, 2016 21:00

Another question guys .

If I buy 2 Hosts and 2 VNXe , and install ESXi on Hosts . Should I present both Storage A and B to Hosts? I mean , If i present a LUN from SAN A to Hosts and it goes down, Should I manually present SAN B ( LUN B ) to Hosts to switch over? Or switching is automatically? BTW , Can you explain me fail over procedure ( when SAN A fails) in host side ? How Hosts start to read/write on SAN B - LUN B? Do storage boxes handle it or ... ?

Untitled.gif

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 30th, 2016 05:00

when you say "SAN" do you actually mean storage array ?   SAN is a storage area network, it's your SAN switches, not your storage array.  There is no automatic failover between storage arrays.  If  VNXe 1 goes down for some reason, you will need to "fracture" replication (i don't know VNXe terminology), present VNXe 2 LUNs to your ESXi hosts, discover the datastore, import virtual machines and only then you can turn them back on.  Remember this will be crash consistent recovery, windows servers might need to run chkdsk, linux might need to run fsck, application like SQL might need additional recovery steps.  Basically your VMs going to be in the same state as if you yank power cords from your ESX servers.

I have never used SRM myself but i believe some of these steps above can be automated with SRM, take a look.

Configuring VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager (SRM) with EMC® VNXe Storage

7 Posts

July 1st, 2016 19:00

Thank you so much but SRM is used to handle NFS shared storage .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 1st, 2016 20:00

No Events found!