Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2014 05:00

How to utilize VNX to synchronize Active/Active file server in two sites ?

Hi people,

I'd like to know if EMC VNX array can be implemented to support Active/Active Windows file server replication from Production site A to site B like in the following diagram:

Site A: VNX 5300

Site B: VNX 5500

EMC Replication Manager (to leverage SAN Copy)

Windows Server 2012 R2 file server

Physical RDM LUN formatted as 4 TB NTFS on each sites.

1.png

Any kind of suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 21st, 2014 06:00

i think you need to look into VPLEX

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 21st, 2014 07:00

if you to write to one volume from different systems you need some kind of federation system

8.6K Posts

You need to be a bit more specific

164 Posts

Why do I need EMC VPlex ? is there anything special with VPLEX ?

because I'd like to utilize the current infrastructure investment that I have here to achieve the result above.

164 Posts

April 21st, 2014 16:00

Dynamox,

Isthere any example of what sort of Federation System that I need to implment ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 21st, 2014 17:00

VPLEX provides that federation.

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

With only RDM luns as the criteria (might need bit more information), VPlex looks like the best option since it would provide the capability of Storage Federation to support and manage multiple arrays from a single source.

164 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 08:00

Unfortunately I do not have access to use VPlex at the moment because my company has already invested in the VNX 5300 and 5500 series with fully loaded DAE & FAST cache.

is there any software base solution or any other feature of VNX ?

8.6K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

I am still not sure what exactly you want

Do you want to use VNX block systems and native Windows server running on VMware connection to the VNX using FC ?

Or do you want to use the VNX file portion as a CIFS server ?

What do you mean with active / active ?

164 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 05:00

Rainer,

What I mean Active/Active is that both file servers which is used to host user home drives in both data centers can be accessible for the users.

I was thinking some other technologies to be used like EMC VNX Replicator to replicate the data at the background without having to reinvest in major hardware.

so far based on Googling around my choices are limited to the following:

Physical RDM LUN presented as NTFS to the VMware VM and then configure DFS-R replication to both data center.

EMC VNX presenting CIFS share to the File server VM......

I'm still new to this type of technology so any kind of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 06:00

Replicator wont work – neither will block based mirroring like MirrorView

They all work the way that the secondary site is readonly until a failover

Even it they would allow active/active block access from two locations like VPLex that alone still wouldn’t help to put two Windows servers as active/active with the same file system on top since NTFS is not a cluster file system.

8.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2014 07:00

Sure you can create a CIFS share on both sides – but that each side would be a separate CIFS server and file system

164 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hm.. so in this case the block base NTFS solution is not an option with my current VNX hardware ?

how about creating it as CIFS share on both sites ? is there any technology that can assist ?

so far the CIFS share is not as reliable as the block based FC or iSCSI connection.

No Events found!