Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2015 05:00

Need assistance in creating new CIFS servers

HI, not very experienced with VNX  (we have unified 5500)

Currently we have three datamovers server_2, 3 and 4 ( 4 used as a spare only)

vdm1 set up on server_2,  vdm2 and vdm3 set up on server_3

currently have three cifs servers  -  prod1 set up on vdm1, prod2 on vdm2 and prod3 on vdm3

all above cids servers use same domain 'prod'

If I want to create new cifs server  'dev1'  on server_3 which would use different domain what are the option??

Is it as simple as creating a new cifs server using vdm2 or 3 and set up to use new DNS domain  (I'm assuming it's possible to use more than one domain on same datamover/vdm).

What are the main steps and any advice on what I should be careful of.

Thanks in advance

8.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 07:00

Yes its that simple

Just make sure you DNS setup can resolve the new domain and that the data mover can reach the domain controller (server_ping)

Unless you want to share data / file systems with the existing CIFS servers I would also create a new VDM and data file system for the new CIFS servers.

Otherwise create it on the VDM where the data is that you want to share.

Keep in mind though that if its using a different domain and the domains aren’t joined you will have some extra challenges since ACLs that are valid for the one domain might not be able to get resolved from the CIFS server in the other domains.

If that is the case I would suggest to get someone involved locally who is knowledgeable about Windows domains and permissioning.

Rainer

17 Posts

January 14th, 2015 08:00

Thanks for info.. a couple of questions..

We certainly don’t want to share any of data on new CIFS server with other servers.

The way our domains are set up is that the domain to be used for the new data is the ‘Primary’ domain and the domain used for all of the existing FILE data is in a child domain beneath the primary. We don’t want users of the new file data filesystems to be able to see the existing filesystems currently being used.

Currently we have three interfaces (lacp groups) which are currently being used by the three VDM’s/CIFS Servers. Is it ok to set up a new VDM and CIFS server using one of existing interfaces alongside other VDM??

Considering the new domain we are going to start using. Do we need to add it to the server/vdm config and if so is that a simple procedure.

Any thoughts??, basically I’m looking for a sort of order of things to do..

i.e add domain, set up new vdm on one of existing movers perhaps using an existing interface, set up new cifs server using new vdm and join to new domain, etc, etc

Thanks again

8.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 08:00

Ok – if you dont want users from the other CIFS servers to see the new CIFS server data and vice versa then create a new VDM.

You also need a new interface in any case – you cant share an interface between CIFS servers.

I mean logical interface (IP address) – you can that on the same lacp

For the new domain you need to check if its already resolvable through your current DNS config.

From your description I guess so.

So basic order

If necessary add to DNS config

Create interface

Create VDM and data file system

Create CIFS server and join it

Create shares

Should be pretty straightforward

17 Posts

January 14th, 2015 09:00

Just to confirm (and apologies for my lack of knowledge), you're saying that we can set up new interface (IP wise) to use existing lacp interface alongside other IP address?

8.6K Posts

January 14th, 2015 13:00

Sure – lacp is a device not an interface

A device can have multiple interfaces – either in the same subnet or different subnets using VLAN tagging

17 Posts

January 15th, 2015 05:00

Thanks for the info, you have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

8.6K Posts

January 15th, 2015 06:00

You’re very welcome

Rainer

No Events found!