Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 11:00

Proactive drive copy to HOT SAPRE in VNXe

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to do the Proactive drive copy to hot spare in VNXe as we have many soft errors in VNXe disk which is  holding system data ie D_0_0.

Response would be much appreciated!!

Regards,

Chanti

28 Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

If you right click on that particular disk you will see the following options:

PACO.JPG.jpg

click on "Copy to Hot Spare " to start the PACO process. You can check the copy process by clicking on the properties. Once the PACO process is completed you will the change in state from "enabled" to "unbound."

1 Rookie

• 

121 Posts

August 13th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for your response snalluri.

I need this for VNXe storage array not for VNX. i Believe your answer is for VNX

26 Posts

August 13th, 2015 05:00

Hi Snalluri,

what do we mean by he PACO process?

Thanks

43 Posts

August 13th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

In VNXe 3200, system monitors drive health by counting the number of errors found. When the number of errors reach the count 60, the drive will declare as unhealthy and invalidated. Multi core Raid will begin the sparing process to a compatible spare drive.

43 Posts

August 13th, 2015 06:00

Hi Shr@y,

PACO means Proactive Copy.

The Proactive Copy (PACO) feature is designed to protect data by copying the contents of a drive to a hot spare (HS) drive if it experiences a defined number of media errors before marking the drive as faulted. An improved version of PACO, called PACO-R, is now available. PACO-R is designed to further reduce the likelihood of a double drive fault by allowing more data to be proactively copied to the HS than is currently allowed by PACO

26 Posts

August 13th, 2015 09:00

Hi $ree,

Much appreciated!!

Could you plz share the link or a file that make me understand about the basics of EMC symmetrix and VMAX?

Thanks

43 Posts

August 14th, 2015 03:00

Hi Shr@y,

There are some free Fundamental training available for VMAX . You can register it in education.emc.com

The below links may be helpful for you...

Free VMAX3 Fundamentals e-learning

VMAX Documentation Index

26 Posts

August 17th, 2015 05:00

Good day $ree,

I am unable to login with my credentials to go through the above links sent by you.

please assist

Also,

what do we call the LUN Expansion and migration process in VNX?

do we call it by any different name or is it a different process in VNX,

Thanks

43 Posts

August 18th, 2015 00:00

Hi Shr@y,

LUN Expansion and migration is same in both VNX.

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-42093   Please try to access this link to register VMAX fundamental training.

Or You can login to https://education.emc.com/portal/  site and search for VMAX Fundamentals under catalog search.

No Events found!