Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

October 10th, 2018 05:00

Replacing faulted disk .

Hi

I had a pool , that contain 10 (600GB) disks . also had 1 more disk for hot-spare .

in 2 day , 2 disk faulted . now i replaced the disk with new . but the new disk's shown in "Unbound" state .

i used raid 4+1 for my pool , so now i must have 1 unbounded disk and 1 disk must used for raid .

what is the problem ? why i have 2 unbound ?

4.5K Posts

October 11th, 2018 13:00

If the two disks that failed are in the same private raid groups, then you have a double faulted pool. Hang on to the faulted disk that you replaced, you may need to recover the Pool. When you create a Pool using 4+1, you create two private raid groups using 5 disks for each raid group. As this is Raid 5, it can recover if one of the disks fail, but if two of the disks in the same raid group fail, then that's call a double faulted raid group. In normal situations that means it can't be fixed using the hot spare.

You should open a case with Dell EMC to see if this can be fixed (not normally, but sometimes one of the faulted disks can be coaxed back to life for a short period of time). You need to hold on to the disk that you replaced and label it from which slot you removed it from. You should also make sure you have an up-to-date backup in case it can't be recovered.

glen

2 Posts

October 12th, 2018 22:00

vnx.jpg( i forget to say i have more disks with different capacity in my pool )

anyway i did not lost any data , everything shown normal . i know my pool must have 10 disks (2 x 4+1) , and 1 disk must remain unbound, but i see 9 disk are active in pool & 2 unbound disks .

Is there any problem in the structure ?

Should I do something to return the tenth disk to pool ?

4.5K Posts

October 15th, 2018 07:00

It's not possible to determine from Unisphere which disks belong to which private raid groups - I still recommend that you open a service request with EMC to determine the exact failure - if two disks in the same private raid group fail, you could potentially lose that data on the Pool.

glen

• 

7.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 10:00

Hello naser_mx,

As Glen stated it is best to open a support case so that we can pull some logs, to see what is going on and ensure that there is not a bigger issue. In most cases when you replace a drive in a disk pool it should automatically rebuild.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!