Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2013 06:00

User poll - are you using VNX snapshots, if so, what are you using it for?

How many of you guys are acutally using VNX snapshots, and what are you using it for (backups, test/dev etc etc)? What are your impression of the product?

Thanks!

Hampus

Hello Hampus,

May I know the FALRE OE for your VNX array please…

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni

11 Posts

05.32.000.5.011, but the question was "anyone using VNX snapshots......"

January 29th, 2013 07:00

Hello Humpus,

I do understand your concern; till you get inputs from people who have experienced SnapShot you may refer the blow mentioned document for your reference:

Information on SanpView for VNX OE 32:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h10858-vnx-snapshots-wp.pdf

You may also refer to the below mentioned tread on “Ask the Expert “on “VNX replication”:

https://community.emc.com/message/661764#661764

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni

11 Posts

January 29th, 2013 07:00

That WP is a joke! If you read the Limits section the product only has 4 limitations...

The Expert on the other hand says in one post:

"The destroy operation will copy the data to the original LUN LBA space, effectively bringing it up to date and to normal operation. That should take some time to complete and would be a lengthy process."

In my opinion this is a huge understatement, the performance impact from snap deletion process is a really big issue which rise questions about the product itself.

And I dont appriciate that folks suggest that we should buy 25 flash drives to solve the deletion process. Then EMC has mislead me. But more important, I dont belive that 25 flash drives solves the issue if you have other tiers as well.. Snaps that end up on SAS or NL-SAS would not benefit from a flash tier during it's deletion process, right?

Please tell me that I'm wrong, I had (and still want to have) high hopes for VNX snapshots.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 29th, 2013 16:00

what is little, 2 drives, 5 drives ?

8.6K Posts

You dont need all flash for that – as I noted even a bit of flash will help since it speeds up the meta data operations

8.6K Posts

Depends on pool size – for small pools even just two drives would make a difference

See the virtual provisioning wite paper – it talks about 3% metadata overhead for thin LUNs

11 Posts

January 30th, 2013 00:00

Guys,

I appreciate all your answers but let's keep this thread for use cases and customers actually using  vnx snap.

And let's continue the in depth discusson in the other thread.

Anyone using vnx snap?

Tanks!

57 Posts

January 30th, 2013 05:00

no not yet. I think i'll have a second look at the feature when it has been improved enough so it can replace snapview entirely. When EMC does that, it'll show the feature has gotten more support from othe applications which integrate with snapshot features. Like Replication Manager, Site Recovery Manager, MirrorView maybe?

11 Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Please keep this thread open for people actually using VNX snapshot. Open a new thread for other questions/topics.

59 Posts

Hello Suman,

very good WP on "VNX Snapshots". All this descibes the new Snapshot feature for VNX Block OE.

To me one essential question is still open. How does Snapshots for VNX file work? Is it still "SnapSure" which is based on COFW? Or is VNX File already using "VNX Snapshot" functionality?

8.6K Posts

VNX file snapshots are still the same as before – classic Celerra checkpoints that use COFW and a savvol

Hello Mendocino,

For VNX file, it is still the SnapSure. Please refer to the below mentioned document for the SnapSure functionality

https://mydocs.emc.com/VNXDocs/SnapSure.pdf

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni

11 Posts

January 30th, 2013 07:00

Great news mendocino, finally someone who's using/testing the product.. :-)

What are your findings so far? How often do you take, and remove, snapshots? What hardware setup are you running on?

Thanks!

59 Posts

January 30th, 2013 07:00

Hello Suman, Rainer,

thank you for your replies.

To come back to the original topic of this thread:

Currently we are testing VNX Snapshots. We will use it for customers with tough RTO/RPO requirements which we cannot achieve with our "normal" backup.

No Events found!