1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 18th, 2013 10:00

VNX FTP service and local accounts

Hello folks,

Current configuration:

1) CIFS server joined to AD, local users enabled

2) FTP service configured, home directory configured (followed "Using FTP,TFTP and SFTP on VNX" user guide)

3) Created local account on CIFS server, created HomeDir entry using Celerra Management MMC

I can ftp to VNX using the following settings:

username: myusername@cifsservername

or

username: cifsservername\myusername

everything work great, i end up in my diretory that was defined in step 3. Now the problem is that my application that needs to use this FTP service (It's a PeopleSoft reporting app) does not interpret @ nor \ correctly. I tried to escape those strings with another "\" but it does not work, this app does not know how to parse it.  The only way it would work if username was simply "myusername", without adding "cifsservername".

So i decided to create local account on physical datamover itself (server_user server_2 -add myusername), i would then specify my home directory, etc. When i use local account on physical datamover, i don't have to enter cifsservername\myusername ..i simply enter my username and my password and i am in. Problem with this approach is that username created with server_user command is a unix account and the file system that it needs to write to is exported via CIFS so i get into permissions nightmare.

I guess my question is is there a way (maybe some parameter that i don't know off) that would allow me to use the  local account created on CIFS server without needing to specify cifs servername?

Thank you

1 Message

June 2nd, 2015 15:00

I realize this post is very old, but I was curious if you found a solution.  Did you find out of there is a way use a local CIFS server account without specifying the server name?  Or a domain account without specifying the domain?  It appears there is not a way, but I have the same situation you originally posted and I'd like to avoid creating a Unix account for access to my CIFS share.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 20:00

not really, i am still using local unix account. I set CIFS permissions to everyone and control access to the CIFS share via "share" permissions.  Not ideal but  sufficient for this application.

8.6K Posts

June 3rd, 2015 09:00

you need to specify the cifs server name so that the VNX knows what to use for authentication

97 Posts

June 5th, 2015 23:00

HI dynamox, i have come with two solutions:

first if all your local clients are in one domain or dm you can use this parameter:

To set the Windows default domain, use this command syntax:

$ server_param -facility nfs -modify  oNTcred.winDomain -value

where:
= name of the Data Mover
= a valid NetBIOS domain name
Example:
To set the Windows default domain to nasdocs.emc.com, type:
$ server_param server_2 -facility nfs -modify NTcred.winDomain -value zettabast.com

IF they are not you could use the vnx user mapper so you con map your local (server_user) to the correct gid and uid of your cifs local user

i hope this solves your preblemm

No Events found!