Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2013 15:00

VNXe 3150 CIFS and iSCSI connectivity setup advice

I have purchased a VNXe 3150 and for now plan on using it for both CIFS and block storage.  HA best practice documentation I've found generally only covers if you're using CIFS or iSCSI, not both, especially when without a module I only have 2 Ethernet ports (per SP).  Would this plan work to at least get iSCSI HA and be functional for CIFS: hookup eth2 and eth3 to different switches as described in iSCSI HA best practices.  Pipe in my LAN via VLAN ID's to those 2 switches and assign the LAN VLAN ID to the CIFS ethernet traffic.  The iSCSI ethernet traffic would be untagged.

This doesn't create the LACP tunnels for CIFS HA but if one of my power circuits went down I wouldn't lose iSCSI.  If CIFS shares were manually load balanced across eth2 and eth3 I would then only lose half if power went out.

Thoughts for this newbie?

Photo Aug 29, 5 10 30 PM.jpg

September 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting your query in EMC community. Here is one of the best example for HA for iSCSI:

- iSCSI-server-A (Configure on SPA): eth2 (192.168.20.x), eth3 (192.168.21.x)

- iSCSI-server-B (Configure on SPB): eth2 (192.168.20.y), eth3 (192.168.21.y)

With above, configure multiple IP address of different subnet under single iSCSI server on different ports.

With this configuration, even if entire 192.168.20.x subnet goes down datastore still has access from 192.168.21.x subnet from ESX end.

Regarding having CIFS configuration, you need to configure switch in such a way that it should take traffic from CIFS VLAN as well.

You may have same configuration for CIFS as well. Having one CIFS server on each SP with two different subnet IP one of eth2 and one on eth3.

You may mount share with FQDN at host end.

Example: \\CIFS_server_name\Share

With this, you don't need to change IP everytime when one switch is down because CIFS server is associated with other subnet IP as well.

Regards,

Swapnil

No Events found!