Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 4th, 2011 08:00

VNXe limitation?

I'm replacing a couple NS480's with VNXe's.

My NS's are set up such that I have an interface on CGE3 plugged into my WAN network (used for replication) and I have an interface on CGE1 that provide exports for ESXi servers.

It seems that I can't reproduce this setup with VNXe's.  From what I can tell with VNXe's, it is the Shared Storage Server that does the replicaiton also.  So it needs to be able to communicate with another remote Shared Storage Server.

With VNXe replication of NFS Datastores for VMware, is it possible to have the Shared Storage Server for the NFS exports to run on eth2, and have the replication of the datastore run on eth3?

My NFS networks on both sides of my WAN are done with isolated/stand alone switches.  So the Shared Storage Servers on either side of the WAN will not be able to communicate with each other for replication.  I want the replication to happen over a different network, like I have set up with my existing NS's.

I had EMC support attempt to set this up, after four hours they said they would have to do some research to figure out how to do it.

I've attached a PPT of the design I am trying to accomplish.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible.  An if so, how do you set it up?

Thanks.

1 Attachment

June 5th, 2011 12:00

Hi Boston38,

IN VNXe, non routable IP(Public/Private) is not supported as of now.Because the Replication connection tries to validate with all the interfaces on VNXe.

We have raised this issue with our Engineering team. We should be getting a work around/patch/enhanced feature added in coming release. But we do not have an  ETA., Currently, we cannot have replication to happen over a different network as in your scenario.

I will keep you updated on the ETA of a solution.

Regards,

Naveen

November 4th, 2011 08:00

Hi Boston38,

With the latest code 2.1.x.x... It is possible to achieve replication over a isolated network. The workaround is to create a dummy shared folder server with the private IP on eth3.Then use that interface to replicate over the WAN.

In the latest code, we have a drop down menu to select the interface to replicate.

If you have problem, please open a service request with our VNXe support. We will assist you in this setup.

Regards,

Naveen

No Events found!