Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2013 05:00

how to grant access to CIFS shares for computer accounts (not user) ?

I have a CIFS share on my VNX5500 (7.1.72-1) which I want to be accessible not only for domain user accounts but also for domain computer accounts. This works for single computer accounts but not for a group of computer accounts.

Has anyone an idea how to achieve that?

The desired domain computers group is granted

modify, read/execute, read, write          on file system

modify, read                                        on share

With this settings it only works if a single domian computer account is specified but not the group which is it is part of.

Thank you for any hints and ideas...

October 30th, 2013 23:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "VNX Support Forum".

VNX Support Forum

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 31st, 2013 07:00

use Windows MMC to connect to the CIFS server,  go to shares where you can a list of all shares on that specific CIFS servers. From this point you can add/remove active directory groups/users just like you would on a regular windows server.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2013 08:00

That's right, I know. And this works fine for granting access to a CIFS share for a copmuter account but not for a group of computers. I want several computers to have access to the share.

8.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 03:00

CIFS access control works on users/groups and not computers

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 10th, 2017 09:00

create an AD group, add computer account to that group and then grant that group permissions.

August 10th, 2017 09:00

How do we assign a computer account to the CIFS share ?

August 10th, 2017 10:00

Thank you dynamox, whether adding a secmap entry in DM for the machine account would also work ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 10th, 2017 11:00

why ?  keep it simple and use AD to manage permissions/access

August 11th, 2017 05:00

Thanks Rainer.  users application (IIS server actually) which authenticate through NTLM, gets error when tries to connect to the share. error message - STATUS_NOLOGON_WORKSTATION_TRUST_ACCOUNT.

8.6K Posts

August 11th, 2017 05:00

avinash_b_patil wrote:

Thank you dynamox, whether adding a secmap entry in DM for the machine account would also work ?

what are you exactly trying to do ?

I dont think it even makes sense to add a secmap entry for machine accounts.

When exactly do you use machine accounts for CIFS file operations on the VNX ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 11th, 2017 06:00

if IIS is configured to use storage on a CIFS shares, it does use IIS computer account to authenticate.

8.6K Posts

August 11th, 2017 06:00

I bet that this is NOT using the machine account but rather a local user on the Windows client

local users cannot be used on remote CIFS connections - same as on Windows

you need to configure your application to run as a domain user

or map the CIFS share using domain user or local VNX CIFS server user before starting IIS

Or use ISCSI which avoids this altogether

No Events found!