Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2015 02:00

vVNX boots up in service mode (only)

Does anybody face the same issue? When turning on vVNX running on vSphere 5.5, it always boots up in service mode.

We can ssh to the vVNX with ID/Password = service/service. We cannot use userID="admin" for Unisphere GUI access but only "service" (which is automatically set in the Unisphere log-in screen).

Since it always boots up in service mode, we checked SECURE MODE bit by "svc_rescue_state -l" but no SECURE MODE bit was set...

If anybody has the same issue and knows how to fix it, please share the information to us!

20 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 05:00

This problem has been raised before, probably the same solution applies here. If you are deploying the vVNX using the vSphere client, deploy it using the webclient. Good change that everything will work.

May 22nd, 2015 04:00

My vVNX is also in service mode. I am trying to get it into normal mode.

106 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 06:00

Hello, all,

This is likely due to one of a few things, all of which are covered in the FAQ/install instructions:

• Invalid configuration
  • Old NON-SSE4.2 CPU
  • Adding vDisks before first boot

You may want to check out our FAQs document: vVNX FAQn..  It highlights some of the common issues we've encountered.

To help you troubleshoot this issue, any details you can include, such as "did you add a vNIC?" or "did you change memory," etc are always helpful. 

100 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 10:00

Did you make any changes to the VM settings before powering it on? Make sure you give the VM about 45 minutes to boot up fully before any actions such as adding vDisks.

Also:

Re: vVNX OVA Deployment. vVNX start in service mode

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-39812

Community Manager

• 

5.1K Posts

May 24th, 2015 20:00

Thank you, guys!

We deployed vVNX successfully through web client:)

1 Message

June 20th, 2015 08:00

i deploy the vVNX from vSphere webclient and still just booting on service mode.

1 Message

August 21st, 2015 13:00

hi which esxi version u have used for deploying vvns

Community Manager

• 

5.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2015 17:00

That was ESXi 5.5.

September 23rd, 2015 08:00

Try ESXi 6, deployed first time after the several failed attempts on ESXi 5.5

Hardware Dell R720

No Events found!