Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2013 07:00

what is the best way to load the two SPs

hey , what is the best way to balance the load between the service processors and distribute the LUNs between both of them ?

And where \how to monitor the utilization using the analyzer /

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 24th, 2013 05:00

as you provision new LUNs and monitor SP utilization in Unisphere Analyzer you might start seeing one SP being used more then other. If you were using traditional raid groups you could simply change LUN owner and trespass the LUN to another SP to balance the workload but you should not do that with pool LUNs. With pool LUNs you will need to create a brand new LUN on appropriate SP and then use LUN Migrator to migrate it.

73 Posts

February 24th, 2013 11:00

Thnz Dynamox but i was wondering how to identify the load of the SPs and how to know when its over loaded or not,what are the best tools to use and what are the key identifiers to look into !?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 24th, 2013 12:00

if you want to look at individual components in great detail you will need to use Unisphere Analyzer. I start looking at SP utilization (anything >50% needs to be looked at), cache dirty pages, LUN response times. Take a look at this primus solution: emc218359

5.7K Posts

February 26th, 2013 06:00

You also could right click on SPA or SPB and look at the properties. There's a statistics tab there where you can see CPU load of the SPs.

4.5K Posts

February 26th, 2013 13:00

You might also want to take a look at Support Solution emc2158359 on support.emc.com - this lists all the support articles about using Analyzer - which is a package for the VNX that allows you to collect archive data on the performance of the array.

You can also find more detailed information about monitoring performance on the array in the Help section - "How do I monitor system health / Analyze storage system performance / How do I display an archive file..." This should lead you to a more in-depth discussion about using Analyzer.

glen

No Events found!