Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2015 00:00

can a distributed volume temporarly be split?

Hi there,

the idea is to suspend the synchronization of the distributed volume, have one site still in production and run some test's on the leg of the second site. After the testing has been completted the synchronization can be resumed and all data from the production site is mirrored to the second site.

As this can be done when using storage mirroring (e.g. SRDF or MiirrorView).

thx and kind regards

Tom

15 Posts

December 16th, 2015 11:00

While we don't have the mechanism to do what you are asking to do, I recommend using array snapshot or clone capabilities on the mirror leg to perform this operation.  Please make sure that the devices have been mapped 1:1 to the volume provisioned from the array.

Follow normal best practices for fracturing a clone or creating a snap to ensure a clean application consistent copy.

30 Posts

December 17th, 2015 22:00

Thank you Mike for your answer.

rgds

Tom

522 Posts

December 18th, 2015 05:00

Mike - in this setup could you utilize the set command in in the distributed device context to set the rebuild-allowed setting to to something like "false" in terms of just stopping the synchronization?

Admittedly I don't have a system to test this one so just spit-balling in case it was another alternative, but not 100% sure. I know we don't want to detach given the outcome that creates, but I wasn't sure about setting the rebuild-allowed option to false and if that stops the replication.

thanks!

-Keith

30 Posts

December 18th, 2015 07:00

Hi there,

I don’t think this will work because setting the “rebuild-allowed” to false does just interrupt currently running rebuild session.

There are no rebuild-session running during normal operation.

Tom

Von: echolaughmk

Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Dezember 2015 14:29

An: Tom Schmuki

Betreff: Re: - can a distributed volume temporarly be split?

ECN

can a distributed volume temporarly be split?

reply from echolaughmk in VPLEX - View the full discussion

522 Posts

December 18th, 2015 08:00

Thanks for the confirmation....since the replication is ongoing all the time with a DR1, i wasn't sure if this would work but didn't have a system to try it out on. Sounds like it only works for the initial rebuild. Thanks for the info.

No Events found!