Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2014 13:00

Ask the Expert: Installation and Configuration of ViPR for Isilon, VMAX and VNX Discovery

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Best Practice for fixing ViPR SRM Topology Maps and Queries on it

Ask the Expert: EMC ViPR Controller Open Source Development Model via Project CoprHD

https://community.emc.com/thread/224562

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. In this occasion we will be covering the steps required to run a successful discovery of VMAX and VNX arrays in ViPR. Among the many areas will be discussing,

our experts will answer your questions in regards to best practices, supported configurations and issues faced during the discovery of these arrays.

Please, join our experts and our community on this discussion by posting your questions or thoughts about the topic for this highly anticipated and timely event.

Your Hosts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9605&size=350

Aditya Kumara is a Support Engineer that has been with EMC for the past 2.5 years. He is a member of EMC India ASD (Advanced Software Division), Storage Resource Management Team. His experience is in software development, product deployment and Product support for a vast array of EMC products, including: ViPR, VNX M&R, ControlCenter, ProSphere, Watch4Net and EMC Proven Professional.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9637&size=350

Madhur Tiwari is an engineer that has been with EMC for the last 3 years. He is a member of EMC India ASD (Advanced Software Division), Storage Resource Management Team. His experience is in software/product support for a vast array of EMC products, including: ViPR, VNX M&R, Watch4Net, UIM, ProSphere, ControlCenter and EMC Proven Professional.

This discussion will take place from February 17 – March 7. Click the “Follow” button (top-right side of this thread) and select the “email” box to be alerted each time this thread gets updated and avoid missing out on this debate!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2014 07:00

Hi Ayas,

For Vmax and VNX Block – Ingestion is supported only on Thin/Thick Luns that were mapped but NOT masked. That implies any volumes in masking views, snapshots, mirrors, clones etc are not supported. So when you say windows and linux , then it is exported and the same will not be supported.

And yes it does require powerpath or native multipathing.

Regards

Aditya Kumar

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 19th, 2014 09:00

Andrew,

my question is not in terms of performance but in terms of bringing existing infrastructure under VIPR "umbrella". I don't want to perform host based migration just to bring volumes under VIPR control. I want VIPR to discover storage already presented to my hosts.

92 Posts

February 20th, 2014 05:00

Today the host based migration is how ViPR can bring hosts into the mix that are already zoned and masked to hosts previous to ViPR.  I'm sure PM can comment on when this functionality will be in the ViPR vAPP so you don't need to utilize host based solutions.

1 Message

February 24th, 2014 14:00

let's go into your NAS offering instead. Can you elaborate on ViPR as the orchestration toolset for NAS, using Isilon for file or object based storage with ViPR. Since you mentioned you're not in data path, what are the scalability scenarios customers should watch for as ViPR is deployed?

92 Posts

February 24th, 2014 18:00

SH,

You have a lot of questions and I'm not sure I understand them all.  For ViPR controller we are not in the data path.  For Object/Data nodes we are in the data path.  On the provisioning side we have services/orchestration that can provide file provisioning just like block.  This download is for the provisioning use case.  I suggest downloading some of the ViPR documentation to read up on some of the recommendations and capabilities of the product.  ViPR has been designed to scale for the enterprise environment.  There are some videos on this site as well as YouTube.  Please let me know what else we can answer for you. 

Andrew

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2014 00:00

SH,

To add to what Andrew has mentioned, you can refer to the documentation available on the below mentioned link:

https://support.emc.com/products/32034_ViPR/Documentation/

You may want to check:

1. Data Sheet and Compatibility Matrix

2. User Guide

3. Administrator Guide

Regards,

Madhur Ved Tiwari

40 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 10:00

I would like to know if there is a way to batch import hosts. We have about +1000 servers that we potentially need to add to this configuration and I am for sure not going to do that by hand.

Second question is about license, is license based on managed storage or resources?

thanks

March 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hi,

You could use ViPR CLI to create a script that imports hosts automatically.

ViPR Controller is licensed by managed storage capacity.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards

2.8K Posts

March 4th, 2014 01:00

Hi Expert,

what storage arrays except VMAX, Isilon and VNX does ViPR support? Does ViPR Object-on-file service replace Atmos?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2014 01:00

Hi Jeffey,

Apart from VMAX, Isilon and vnx block and file, ViPR supports VPLEX VS2, RecoverPoint and NetApp. You can refer ViPR Data Sheet and Compatibility Matrix at https://support.emc.com/products/32034_ViPR/Documentation for more information such as supported version, supported protocols , etc.

Object-on-file is a feature of ViPR and it'll not replace Atmos.

Thanks

Aditya Kumar

March 5th, 2014 00:00

Hi there

I'm trying to configure RecoverPoint using ViPR.

I have two questions.

Q1

I registered RecoverPoint at Physical Assets tab > Data Protection Systems tab.

I registered VNX5800 at Physical Assets tab > SMI-S Providers tab.

And, I registered two Virtual Arrays and Network at Virtual Assets tab.

I want to register RecoverPoint Copy in Virtual Pool.

But, I can't select Virtual Array and Virtual Pool.

test.png

Why I can't select Virtual Pool and Virtual Array?

I want to know how to configure RecoverPoint using ViPR.

*This RecoverPoint and VNX5800 can replicate volume(CDP) by manual configuration.

Q2

I could registered RecoverPoint 4.0.SP2.P1(m.29) using ViPR 1.1.

I couldn't registered RecoverPoint 4.0 P1(f.231) using ViPR 1.1.

I couldn't registered RecoverPoint 4.0 SP2.P1(m.29) using ViPR 1.0.

I couldn't registered RecoverPoint 4.0 P1(f.231) using ViPR 1.0.

But, Compatibility Guide is write that ViPR suppots RecovverPoint 4.0.

Why I coludn't register?

*This RecoverPoint is physical.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 00:00

Hi Ryo,

We'll be happy to assist you to resolve these issue at earliest. Request you to open a Service request with support team to engage us.

Regards

Aditya Kumar

2.8K Posts

March 5th, 2014 02:00

I got it, thank you for the information.

March 7th, 2014 15:00

This Ask the Expert event has now ended. Thanks to our expert and those who participated in the discussion!

Just so you know, next week we're having the folowing ATE event:

- Ask the Expert: What's New in EMC Documentum 7.1?

Please, join us or let your peers know about it.

Cheers!

92 Posts

March 10th, 2014 11:00

When you installed CMCNE 12.1.2 did you install the smi-s server?  Vipr talks to the brocade management software via its smi-s server.  Once installed you need to discover the brocade fabrics via CMCNE and then discover it via ViPR.  This will allow you to see the VSAN and bring them into the VSA.  The pool issue should go away at that point.

No Events found!