Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2016 02:00

Can you copy and edit one of the standard reports

Hi,

I am having a play with the reporting in ViPR SRM and got a bit stuck so wonder if you can help. There is a report that would be useful for us but it contains a load of child reports and i would like to know is there a way to either copy the report to My Reports so it can be edited?

i am trying to create a report that will be scheduled every day to replace a load of manual checks.

This report shown below is an ideal starting point for what i am after but i am only interested in the top section that details the storage pools and i think i can edit this to remove the other sections but i don't want to do that. I have added it to my personal view thinking i might be able to edit it and remove the bits i do not want but i can't find out how to do that.

Capture.PNG.png

So firstly is possible to copy one of the default/existing reports and secondly if you can how can you edit it to remove the bits you do not want.

I will continue to play with this but any advice/tips/hints would be great.

Thanks

14 Posts

October 11th, 2016 10:00

Andrew,

One thing that I would recommend in ViPR SRM is to create a report pack within which you do all your custom development--you can copy the standard SRM reports into this report pack and modify them without concern of modifying up the original reports.  I'll try to cover both the report pack creation and copying the report for you here. To do these things:

1) Go into Administration mode and select 'List / Import ReportPacks'.

2) Click 'New ReportPack' and name it accordingly and save.

3) Go into edit that new report pack and create a template within it by pressing the 'New Template' button.

4) For the new template I just name it and press the button to hook it to another node and select 'inside the node , under the root node' from the drop down.  Save the template.

5) Return to the normal user interface mode for SRM.

6) Go find the report which you want to customize and open it.

7) Press the 'Edit Mode' button at the top of that page.

8) Over in the left pane, with that report selected press 'Copy the selected report' (button up at the top of the pane).

9) In the tree view of the left pane, find your newly created report pack and open it.

10) Press the paste button above the left pane.

Now you can use and modify that report with no fear of changing the original.  Additionally, because it is in a report pack, you can more easily keep it separate from the EMC default reports, export it to back it up or take it to another instance of SRM.

The report pack creation for doing development is just something I have found helpful in the past.

Good luck!

Reid

32 Posts

October 11th, 2016 06:00

Hi Isaka,

I am trying to figure this out by just playing with SRM and searching for answers on Google which I admit is not the best way to do things so please forgive the daft question.

Is there now way to copy a report so I can play about modifying it without fear of breaking the original?

Also you mentioned changing the report type from interactive to standard. How do you do that without breaking it?

Thanks

141 Posts

October 11th, 2016 06:00

Hi Andrew,

The report uses many formula results from the "Child Reports" node, if you get ride of the child nodes the report wont be able to calculate most of the values in it...

A quick and easy work around would be to change the report type from an interactive table to a standard table; this would maintain the Storage Pools table and values while hiding the other tables.

The other tables (LUN Consumers, File System, LUN Contributors, Disk Contributors and Subscription) would still be available when drilling into the Storage Pools table.

hth

Regards,

Isaka

141 Posts

October 11th, 2016 10:00

Hi Andrew,

You can absolutely copy it to the My Reports node, to do this browser the report and then click the EDIT MODE button

Then click on the copy icon

CopyReport.PNG.png

Then go to the My Report node and paste it, note that there is two pasting options, the first (N) will pastes the node as is, while the second (F) will paste the node but it will also add the filters of the parent nodes, which is really handy when pasting it in a different branch. Hovering over the two options will display the description the two options.

PasteReport.png

You can see that using the (F) option to paste added all of the parent nodes filter in the report that was pasted

FullPaste.PNG.png

As for scheduling a copy of this report, you will have to remove the reports Unique Identifier by clicking on the pencil button.

If two reports have the same Unique Identifier, the original one usually ends up being the one that gets generated...

hth

Regards,

Isaka

141 Posts

October 12th, 2016 05:00

Indeed a custom report pack is a good idea; it also has the benefit of making the new report available to all users.

32 Posts

October 12th, 2016 23:00

Thanks Isaka & Reid for the suggestions.

Thats given me something to go play with anyway and hopefully not destroy the original reports

No Events found!