Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2015 05:00

Ordering Metrics on Graphs

I have spent a good amount of time looking for a way to order the metrics in a stacked graph (chart or bar) to no avail. Even more interesting is how the metrics change positions when I switch between dynamic and static stacked graphs.

I am trying to graph the space usage of our XtremIO instance to upper management in an attempt to illustrate the cost savings. I am trying to show a stacked graph of physically-used capacity (UsedCapacity), allocated capacity (ConsumedCapacity) and presented capacity (Capacity). Ideally, the graph would be stacked with UsedCapacity on the bottom, ConsumedCapacity in the middle, and Capacity on top.

When the graph is rendered as a dynamic stacked chart, it shows up correctly as below:

right.PNG.png

However, when it is rendered as a static stacked chart (or exported to PDF), the Capacity metric (green) moves:

wrong.PNG.png

Is there a way to setup the order when metrics are displayed this way?

November 2nd, 2015 06:00

Hello Jon,

Can you attach your report template & tell us what SRM version you are using ?

Because I'm not experiencing the same issue as you do on SRM 3.7.

If your report is build of a list of nodes, you can change the order under : Edit Mode > Filtering & Expansion > Child Node ordering.

In following screen capture I'm moving Free from the top line to the last line :

Default configuration

Edit_Mode_-_Usable_Capacity_Trend_Flo_-_EMC_M_R.png

Renders :

Report_-_Usable_Capacity_Trend_-_EMC_M_R.png

After the following modification :

Edit_Mode_-_Usable_Capacity_Trend_Flo_-_EMC_M_R.png

Free is now at the bottom :

Report_-_Usable_Capacity_Trend_-_EMC_M_R.png

If your report is a simple expansion (on device let's say) then you can only force the alphabetical order with the same option.

As for the order change when you switch from dynamic to static, same thing it works for me with SRM 3.7.

Let us know.

48 Posts

October 30th, 2015 07:00

Not that I can think of...

I logged ER EMP-3708 for something similar regarding stacked graphs and it seems to have gone nowhere / lost in translation. I want to be able to choose a particular metric to be selectable as non stacked (as in the background or stuck in a certain position (the top)) so I can show the comparison between available of x against used of y.... for some reason people want to see it stacked chart rather than a graph... but that doesn't seem to be on the agenda.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 05:00

Frederic,

The original post I made was with SRM 3.6.4; I have since upgraded to 3.7. I did notice that the weird issue between Dynamic and Static reports was no longer occurring in 3.7.

I had tried adjusting the child node ordering originally, which didn't seem to have an effect. I tried again after reading your post (now on SRM 3.7) and ordering the children does appear to change the order on the graph. Weirdly, I had to put them in reverse order to make them appear in the order I wanted.

The child nodes are arranged as such:

2.PNG.png

The graph generates in the desired order:

3.PNG.png

Apparently I cannot attach the report template XML, so I have pasted it below:

http://www.watch4net.com/APG/Web/XmlTree1" name="Capacity Graph 2" singleNodeId="f2533940" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

Thank you for your help!

No Events found!