Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2014 01:00

SRM Watch4Net APG: Email when Brocade FC ports go down?

Hello,

We have deployed SRM3.0 to monitor SAN infrastructure, including 4 Brocade 6520 switches.

In the predefined alerts (Alerting Module > Alert definitions > Brocade FC Switch), I only see 2 definitions:

Switchport link untilization

Credit-lost trigger.

We also would like to receive emails when a switch port (F,E, ...) goes down or up.

Can anyone tell how to do this?

Thanks

Francis

120 Posts

March 6th, 2014 11:00

Hi Francis.

I looked in our lab, and that looks like the only 2 for that Solution pack. I believe we should be able to get that as a trap.

In the Alerting Definition we have an Action to trigger an email.

This is done by updating the Alerting definition and adding an email action.

There are a few more customisations that need to be done in order to have a proper email structure.

Most of these can be done in the alerting frontend and editing the mail action.

In addition to this, some changes needed on the watch4net server that hosts the alerting backend.

File location: /opt/APG/bin/apg.properties, we need to add a variable to identify the sender.

The W4n admin guide also discusses this starting on page 101.

If none of this helps, I would open a service request with EMC support and we can start looking at your configuration.

Hope this helps

Tim

116 Posts

March 6th, 2014 12:00

Hello Francis,

I reached out to one of our experts and got the following example to add to the response above.

Following snapshot is just an example of email action on an existing alerting definition. Customer has to first create their alerting definition and then have an email triggered as part of the final action.

SRM Suite Sample Alert.png

30 Posts

March 6th, 2014 13:00

Thanks Tim, Paula

For pointing me in the direction.

Rgds

Francis

116 Posts

March 6th, 2014 13:00

You're welcome!

I'd love to hear how you like SRM Suite 3.0.   Or any feedback you'd like to give us for future releases.

Paula

30 Posts

March 14th, 2014 08:00

Hello Paula,

Some feedback so far about SRM:

The customer likes the reports, but for simple re-active and customized alerting (specifically via email and/or trap forwarding to SCOM etc.) SRM seems too complicated to me. I'm pretty sure everything they want can be achieved, but we don't want to spend weeks on finding out undocmented metrics and developing scripts.

The Solution Packs (Brocade, VNX, VPLEX, Vmware) offer very few pre-defined alarm definitions.

Also integrating monitoring for some equipment requires quite some steps (like Connectrix Manager being needed to fully monitor a Brocade SAN Fabric)

Regards,

Francis

No Events found!