Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2015 09:00

ViPR Controller - adding host to existing cluster (VMware / Windows) / migrate VCenter

Hi everyone,

I just start deploying ViPR Controller for a customer, i think ViPR is a great product, but there are some thing i don't find in the documentation so if someone can help me that will be great !

I have a fully working ViPR in place, i discovereda VCenter with 4 existing ESX nodes, provisionning works, i did the same with a windows cluster.

But what happen if i add a new node to the cluster ? When i will rediscover my VCenter for example, the new node will show up, but ViPR will zone and export existing volume on my new ESXi ? (same question for windows Cluster)

The other issue is about VCenter, my customer wants to migrate is VCenter soon, it will have a new name and new IP, how does it works in ViPR ? Should i just target the new VCenter by changing the Host adress / IP in my VCenter object and rediscover it ?

Or should i add a new VCenter object in ViPR but what will happen for my existing volume exported ?

Thanks for the help.

May 18th, 2015 02:00

Hi rdauchy,

If you add a new node to an existing cluster, ViPR will update the existing exports so that all volumes assigned to the cluster are also assigned to the newly added node.

Regarding your second question, will the customer just change the vcenter name or also the esx hosts? Is the customer using VMware Block services from ViPR or just Generic Block services?

Regards

May 19th, 2015 01:00

Hi Javier,

Thank you for confirming this behaviour about adding a host to a cluster, i searched a lot but never found the answer !

About the second question, the idea is just create a new vcenter, disconnect the ESXi from old vcenter and reconnect into the new one, with the sames LUNs and Datastore. In the new vcenter, we will use the same Datacenter and cluster name, it's just a new system (vmware appliance instead of windows install), new name and new IP.

We used VMware block service to provision storage, not generic block service.

92 Posts

June 8th, 2015 13:00

Hello.  Do you happen to have another vCenter that you could temporarily migrate the vm's onto?  This way you could do that and use the ViPR catalog to clean up the datastores and remove the old vcenter.  You would then build out the new linux vc and create the new cluster and use ViPR catalog to create new datastores and move the vm's back.  This would be the cleanest way to do it.  I haven't tested just switching the box and hoping it would work. 

April 27th, 2016 14:00

This might be a related question:  I added vCenters to VIPR Controller and never provisioned storage.  Need to remove vCenters, and since they are production, MGMT wants to know if removal is non-disruptive before I do it.  I'm pretty sure unless there is Storage and I say Detach, it is not disruptive to the vCenter/hosts.

92 Posts

April 28th, 2016 07:00

Heather, Yes you can just remove them from ViPR.  It's only cleaning up ViPR database so won't effect vcenter server.

No Events found!