Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2010 08:00

Tape Backup Support Within XenServer VMs

Hi,

I am looking to implement a classic tape backup system on a File Server that happens to be a virtual machine, hosted in XenServer 5.5.
Although I have installed Symantec Backup Exec, the tape backup device does not show up within the Virtual Machine.
The controller card does show up in the XenServer host console view.
Can someone let me know if this is supported with XenServer 5.5 and if so what are the steps to get the tape backup to be recognized within the Virtual Machine?

The tape backup device is a Dell Dell Power Vault LTO-4-120.
The virtual machine is running Microsoft Windows Server 2008.

1 Message

February 12th, 2014 13:00

I know this is a very old post, but I get this question a lot.

Basically, what your looking to do with Backup Exec isn't really achievable.

Instead, if you are looking to keep using Backup Exec:

1. You'll need to install it, the controller, and the tape drive into a dedicated Windows backup server (not a virtual machine or hyper-visor)

2. Installed the back up agent into the virtual file server and configure backups to be sucked through the network.

If you have a lot of data, consider adding an extra dedicated nic in each server, assigning static IP addresses, and connected them directly between each of the two servers. Make sure the IP range is totally different, and get the backup software to use this network.

Again, I know that this is a very old post, but I get asked this weekly - honestly.

Hope I have helped someone :)

No Events found!