Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RT

July 24th, 2012 09:00

Set alerts only for Physical Hosts on OS catridge

Hi,

In my Lab around 300 windows systems are running. Out of that 250 are Vms running on ESXi Hosts and remaining 50 are Physical Boxes. I would like to set Os catridge windows_system rules only for Physical Boxes monitoring. But by default it will monitor all the windows systems including Vms and start sending alerts. Any way to exlude the VMs from OS-Windows_system rules?

Thanks.

July 24th, 2012 09:00

I am looking out to apply the same for Infrastructre Rules also.

30 Posts

July 24th, 2012 14:00

HI Raghavendra,

Do you have Windows System agent/ Infrastructure Agent actived on all your virtual machine?

-Lee

July 26th, 2012 05:00

No. I activated it only for Physical Boxes. still I am able to see alerts from VMs.

July 27th, 2012 14:00

I would really appreciate if anybody can help me in setting the Infrastructure rules only for physical boxes. I dont know how I can avoid windows VMs added under VMware Performance agent from Infrastructure.  I am seeing all the VMs under windows service in Infrastrucre dashboard now. I dont want any alerts to be generated for these VMs.

I badly need some champions help here:)

132 Posts

July 27th, 2012 15:00

I believe you can set the alert to only work on hosts which are members of  the service called "With Agents" as displayed on the Hosts -> Hosts dashboard. 

This appears to be an FSMSystemService object type, under the Services group called 'User Host Groups' which returns the list you see in the small dropdown on the Hosts -> Hosts dashboard.

That's from a few min looking at the following dashboard: system:foglight_hosts.3  

and how it retrieves the displayed data.

That said, I suspect you could compare each host object to the membership in the 'With Agents' service, and decide whether to alert based on that.

Sadly, I'll have to get an assist on the actual method of doing this.  Or there may be a much easier way.

August 1st, 2012 14:00

Thanks John. I am seeing my physical boxes under Hots-with agents. But still confused how to set alerts only for this for the Infrastructure and Hosts rules.

August 23rd, 2012 11:00

It would be really great if anybody found a way to set Host Rule alerts trigger for only Physical Boxes. I tried it by editing the rule scope with "Host where detail.topologyTypeName !like 'VMW%' AND os != \$null". But it didnt work. Or I may be wrong in putting it in the right place in the rule.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

171 Posts

August 26th, 2012 12:00

That part goes in the Rule scope.  You can then evaluate with the green check box to see if it excludes the hosts.  Also we will be sorting this out in a future release so that you don't have to do this manually.

August 28th, 2012 12:00

Thanks Much Thomas. I will try this out.

No Events found!