Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2008 10:00

Performance Monitoring of MD3000i from Linux

During the chat Kristoffer had a couple of questions around the MD3000i. One of which was how do you monitor the performance from a Linux system? I checked with a good Linux friend of mine and he recommends the sysstat package (or RPM) which includes iostat.

Anybody else have a recommendation?

34 Posts

July 7th, 2008 10:00

Not sure, but I was looking for the same thing from a Windows standpoint. I even tried to discover our MD3000i from IT Assistant using snmp with no luck.

Are you doing another chat this week? (ie. tomorrow?)

112 Posts

July 7th, 2008 12:00

On windows you can use Windows Performance Monitor - Perfmon.exe - to get lots of disk performance info. I like to look at read and writes per second as well as seconds per read and writes. Combine this with the disk latency and queue numbers and you can get a pretty good picture of performance of the disks.

There is a chat tomorrow - iSCSI Networking with featured guest Marc Farley! (but we can cover other stuff as well if needed)

Todd

34 Posts

July 7th, 2008 13:00

Gotcha. Does that give me stats for the entire SAN? I have LUNs presented to a VMWare Host as well, so just trying to get an overall view of the SAN.

I'll jump in tomorrow and ask these questions!

112 Posts

July 7th, 2008 15:00

Using perfmon will only get you stats on a host by host basis. The MD3000i does not have any GUI based array level monitoring tools. It is possible to use the command line - SMcli - for the MD3000i to pull some performance info at the array level and dump it into a CSV file. This would also work on Linux as well. SMcli is included with the PowerVault Modular Disk Storage Manager - the GUI tool that you use to manage the MD3000i. SMcli is in the MD Storage Manager\client directory.

I had never used it before your question prompted me to do some investigation - but I put together a quick command line sript that will dump a sample of performance info into a file:

C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client>smcli -n r2md3000i -c "set session performanceMonitorInterval=5;set session performanceMonitorIterations=5;save storageArray performanceStats file=\"c:\\cliPerfStats.csv\";"

You would need to replace the -n parameter with the name of your MD3000i array. The complete documentation for the SMcli is located here - http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3000i/en/CLI/PDF/CLIMR.pdf

I'm going to work on putting up a new wiki page on this stuff in the next few days.

Todd

112 Posts

July 14th, 2008 15:00

I found an error in the script that I posted above. You only use one set session command to set both the performanceMonitorInterval and the performanceMonitorIterations parameters. If you have the script like I do above, then the Interval is not set correctly and will take a sample every .5 seconds. The script should look like this to correctly set the interval and iterations:

C:\Program Files\Dell\MD Storage Manager\client>smcli -n r2md3000i -c "set session performanceMonitorInterval=5 performanceMonitorIterations=5;save storageArray performanceStats file=\"c:\\cliPerfStats.csv\";"

Todd

112 Posts

July 15th, 2008 10:00

I put up a new page that focuses on how you can use the CLI to monitor the performance of the MD3000i. It is located here - http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/MD3000i+Performance+Monitoring

Check it out and give your feedback!

Todd
No Events found!