Virus & Spyware

Last reply by 12-01-2008 Solved
Start a Discussion
5 Rhenium

AVAST-UNable to scan:

When running an antivirus scan using the lastest AVAST program 4.8), at the end of the scan an Action window appears with a lot of files that say "unable to scan: Archive is password protected." These files all seem to have something to do with the program SuperAntiSpyware?  Anyone know what this might mean and why these files are not being scanned? 

Forum Member Since 2001

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
7 Plutonium

Annie,

removing the quarantined items from SAS should take care of the "avast can't scan - password protected archive" issue.

as for the rest, I have no first-hand advice to offer:   I have no problems starting avast 4.8 and opening its "chest" (avast's name for "quarantine")... albeit my "chest" is empty.

you indicated using ZoneAlarm... I'm using Comodo... but I don't know if that's making any difference here.

EDIT:   the first obvious thing to check is make sure you have the lastest avast build, 1296.   (if you prefer, 4.8.1296)    there was a short-lived build 1287 which had a bug in it.   i can't say that's the cause of your problem, but it's certainly best to take simple steps to rule it out.

if i were you, before trying an uninstall/reinstall of avast, i would post your problem [including system configuration, like your firewall] at the avast forum:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

i've generally found the people there to be very helpful/cooperative.

in terms of an 11 hour scan, i'll admit that seems very long.    but scan time is dependent on so many factors, including processor (CPU) speed, disk speed (rpm, DMA), number of files being scanned, as well as the nature of the scan:   avast offers a quick, standard, and thorough scan ; which can include or skip-over archives.   a thorough scan, including archives, would take the longest time.   but even so, 11 hrs???

if the avast forum can't help you, then i'd try a uninstall/reinstall.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Windows Defender, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), uBlock Origin, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon.

[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

View solution in original post

Replies (15)
7 Plutonium

Annie,

Here is a response from DavidR of the avast! forum [where this question has been asked a few times before], interspersed with a few comments of my own:

Many programs (usually security based ones... such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy) password protect their files for legitimate reasons [to try to protect these files against being tampered-with by malware, or accidentally erased by the user].... (and avast doesn't know the password, or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a [backup] copy is kept (in quarantine/vault/restore) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected [to keep the virus/malware from further infecting your system];...    [if you wish] you (c)ould do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Free Internet Security - WOT Web of Trust       Use OpenDNS       MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Windows Defender, MBAM4 Pro, Windows Firewall, OpenDNS Family Shield, SpywareBlaster, MVPS HOSTS file, WinPatrol PLUS, SAS (on-demand scanner), uBlock Origin, Microsoft EDGE, Firefox, Pale Moon.

5 Rhenium

ky331, Thanks for this information. I removed the quarantine items in SuperAntispyware.  I seem to be having some problems with AVAST and these problems occurred after I updated to the 4.8 program.  When I try to view any Quarantine Items from the program I receive this message: 

Quarantine Access is denied. Application "avast" Simple User Interface cannot run external program. c:\programfiles\alwi\software\avast4\ashChest.exe  Cannot view log viewer

I get a similar message when I try to view the log viewer.  This program is working differently since I updated.  I use ZoneAlarm Pro for my firewall on the computer with AVAST. I have been getting a lot of permission messages from ZoneAlarm  for the ashSimpl.exe file which I have been giving permission to. 

Also I ran a virus scan overnight with AVAST and it took over 11 hours. Something does not seem right-maybe a setting somewhere that got changed with the update?   Should I uninstall and reinstall or is there a setting I should be looking at? 

Post number 2

Forum Member Since 2001

7 Plutonium

Annie,

removing the quarantined items from SAS should take care of the "avast can't scan - password protected archive" issue.

as for the rest, I have no first-hand advice to offer:   I have no problems starting avast 4.8 and opening its "chest" (avast's name for "quarantine")... albeit my "chest" is empty.

you indicated using ZoneAlarm... I'm using Comodo... but I don't know if that's making any difference here.

EDIT:   the first obvious thing to check is make sure you have the lastest avast build, 1296.   (if you prefer, 4.8.1296)    there was a short-lived build 1287 which had a bug in it.   i can't say that's the cause of your problem, but it's certainly best to take simple steps to rule it out.

if i were you, before trying an uninstall/reinstall of avast, i would post your problem [including system configuration, like your firewall] at the avast forum:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

i've generally found the people there to be very helpful/cooperative.

in terms of an 11 hour scan, i'll admit that seems very long.    but scan time is dependent on so many factors, including processor (CPU) speed, disk speed (rpm, DMA), number of files being scanned, as well as the nature of the scan:   avast offers a quick, standard, and thorough scan ; which can include or skip-over archives.   a thorough scan, including archives, would take the longest time.   but even so, 11 hrs???

if the avast forum can't help you, then i'd try a uninstall/reinstall.

5 Rhenium

ky331. "removing the quarantined items from SAS should take care of the "avast can't scan - password protected archive" issue"---yes it did. Thanks for the tip on this one.

As far as the other problems with AVAST-I think it has something to do with the permissions in ZoneAlarm Pro.  I updated the version of ZoneAlarm Pro the same day as the Avast Program update so I think there is a connection here.    I will get back to after I do a bit of looking at this more closely.  Thanks for your fast reply. I can always count on you!   Hugs, Annie

Forum Member Since 2001

7 Plutonium

Annie,

i just updated my last post (in bold) to indicate you should first be sure you have the latest avast build (1296) before attempting anything else. just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my edit while you were posting.

as mentioned, i don't use zone alarm... if you believe that's the source of your conflict, by all means, investigate/pursue it... at the avast forums, as well as the zone alarm forum (i assume they have one).

5 Rhenium

Annie,

i just updated my last post (in bold) to indicate you should first be sure you have the latest avast build (1296) before attempting anything else. just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my edit while you were posting.

as mentioned, i don't use zone alarm... if you believe that's the source of your conflict, by all means, investigate/pursue it... at the avast forums, as well as the zone alarm forum (i assume they have one).

I do have the latest version (1296 build) of AVAST.  Annie

Forum Member Since 2001

5 Rhenium

AVAST is running normally again. It took 43 minutes to run a scan.  The AVAST file, ashSimpl.exe, needed ZoneALarm Pro's permission to run. It took me awhile to figure this out.  Since I have run both AVAST and Zone Alarm Pro on this computer for some, this was the first time I encountered permission for this file.  Either the new AVAST or the updated ZoneAlarm Pro were behaving differently this time with the updates. 

Yes, Zone Alarm does have a forum. I did post there but have heard nothing so far.  The problem is now solved.

Ky331-thanks for your help!  Annie

Forum Member Since 2001

7 Plutonium

Annie,

Good detective work... glad to hear you've solved your problem.   43 minutes indeed sounds normal.

Looking at my avast/comodo interaction, I see that i needed to give comodo permission for the following 3 avast files:

ashMaiSrv = e-mail scanner service

ashWebSv = Web scanner

avast.setup

[I use Outlook Express (not Outlook) on this particular machine, and have no P2P programs, so the related avast modules have never run.]

I have not directly given ashSimpl.exe (=virus scanner) any permission via Comodo... however, I see that ashSimpl is one of the "parent" applications that in turn calls on avast.setup.

5 Rhenium

Zone Alarm must work a bit differently. I have

ashMaiSrv = e-mail scanner service

ashWebSv = Web scanner

avast.setup

with permission as well as several other avast files. I also am using Outlook Express on my main machine with no P2P programs.  I am guessing that you still like Comodo. I know I have discussed this with you previously (on the old forum).  I haven't tried this Comodo yet because I have read that this program has a high learning curve.  Also I was able to renew my Zone Alarm Pro free of charge because Zone Alarm was celebrating an anniversary and made the program available for free for a year. There was a 24 hour time period where you could sign up although Zone Alarm made me jump through some hoops to get this free.   Since I was familiar with the program and its quirks I decided to continue using it for a year on this computer. 

Forum Member Since 2001

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor